Macbook/Leopard Buying Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been researching MacBooks recently in the hopes of buying one and I would like to know what you all think because of Leopard's delay.



Should I buy a new computer with Leopard installed, hopefully sometime in October or November? Or should I buy a new one with Tiger sooner and pay for a later version of Leopard sometime next year when they'll hopefully have the bugs out?



It isn't that I need a computer so immediately--but I would like to get it sometime soon. I'm just not sure that I can wait so long before buying the whole thing, and paying out $129 in six months doesn't sound very attractive either. And then there's the issue that Apple could potentially release some new shiny notebook next year and I'll be left feeling obsolete with a brand new computer.



Any advice?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    I see your dilemma. First, ask yourself what you will be doing with the computer, then once you know what types of applications you will be using, search for them on the web and compile a list of the ones you think you will be purchasing. The next step is to research the list to get a feel for peoples' opinions of the applications, and more importantly, what the companies' plans for the software are where Leopard is concerned. Delicious Monster, for instance, has already stated that Delicious Library 2.0 will require Leopard, but that doesn't mean the current version won't run on Leopard; however, you are not guaranteed it will either.



    According to buyersguide.macrumors.com The past three MacBook releases have been 5/2006, 11/2006, and 5/2007 so I can see another update by the end of the year, but this is not set in stone. I think you should wait until Leopard is released before buying a MacBook and if you can, wait until MWSF2008 (beginning of January) so you can get the newest iLife suite free. It might seem like a long time but it is less than the time between the iPhone introduction and the date it was available for purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mskunzmskunz Posts: 6member
    Thanks for your advice. It takes an awful lot of willpower to not buy, but I think biding my time for a bit until the right wave comes along is probably the best option.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    You should be warned: it will be unbearable pain waiting like you are.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mskunzmskunz Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post


    You should be warned: it will be unbearable pain waiting like you are.



    It's already pure torture. XD
  • Reply 5 of 10
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mskunz View Post


    Thanks for your advice. It takes an awful lot of willpower to not buy, but I think biding my time for a bit until the right wave comes along is probably the best option.



    Personally I wouldn't wait. I'll give you two reasons why.



    1. Hardware wise, if the MBs are updated to SR it won't be mush faster than the current MBs. The only big advantage might be the better integrated graphics but how big that improvement is over the current IG is not really known.



    2. Software wise, Tiger is rock solid and ready for prime time. I don't want to sound like an alarmist but Leopard version .0 might be something to sit on the sidelines and see how it behaves in the wild before upgrading to. Since the cost of upgrading is likely to be modest, $129 , that's the smart thing to do IMO. I will wait for the first .x update to Leopard before upgrading, unless reports from forums like this suggest that the first version is very stable.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mskunzmskunz Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Personally I wouldn't wait. I'll give you two reasons why.



    1. Hardware wise, if the MBs are updated to SR it won't be mush faster than the current MBs. The only big advantage might be the better integrated graphics but how big that improvement is over the current IG is not really known.



    2. Software wise, Tiger is rock solid and ready for prime time. I don't want to sound like an alarmist but Leopard version .0 might be something to sit on the sidelines and see how it behaves in the wild before upgrading to. Since the cost of upgrading is likely to be modest, $129 , that's the smart thing to do IMO. I will wait for the first .x update to Leopard before upgrading, unless reports from forums like this suggest that the first version is very stable.



    I'm just worried that something will change dramatically. There haven't been any reports that they'll release a new notebook altogether, but I can definitely see your point. I sound like I'm agreeing with everyone, but that's kind of the dilemma: there are lots of good reasons to buy soon and there are good reasons to buy later.



    Depending on how much money I can save in the next few months, I'm going to see WHAT I can get by Christmas. Since I'm preparing for law school, which does require some Windows software for exams, I'm looking for a much larger harddrive to potentially dual boot into XP. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mskunz View Post


    I've been researching MacBooks recently in the hopes of buying one and I would like to know what you all think because of Leopard's delay.



    Should I buy a new computer with Leopard installed, hopefully sometime in October or November? Or should I buy a new one with Tiger sooner and pay for a later version of Leopard sometime next year when they'll hopefully have the bugs out?



    It isn't that I need a computer so immediately--but I would like to get it sometime soon. I'm just not sure that I can wait so long before buying the whole thing, and paying out $129 in six months doesn't sound very attractive either. And then there's the issue that Apple could potentially release some new shiny notebook next year and I'll be left feeling obsolete with a brand new computer.



    Any advice?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mskunz View Post


    I'm just worried that something will change dramatically. There haven't been any reports that they'll release a new notebook altogether, but I can definitely see your point. I sound like I'm agreeing with everyone, but that's kind of the dilemma: there are lots of good reasons to buy soon and there are good reasons to buy later.



    Depending on how much money I can save in the next few months, I'm going to see WHAT I can get by Christmas. Since I'm preparing for law school, which does require some Windows software for exams, I'm looking for a much larger harddrive to potentially dual boot into XP. We'll see what happens.



    When considering buying a Mac, you have to look at the total value package and understand your costs over say, 2 to 3 years.



    It's not like getting a PC where usually you try to get something at a good deal and then worry about stuff later.



    Tiger is a mature, stable and useful OS. Leopard is fun too, but understand you need to factor the US$129 into your cost of the MacBook and the cost of AppleCare 3 Years (highly highly recommended, it has paid for itself twice over for two of my Macs already... honestly).



    Hard drive for MacBook is a no brainer, get a 100+gb 7200rpm 2.5" Seagate or something. Very easy to change hard drives for MacBook, not so much for MacBookPro.



    I don't think you'll be dual-booting into XP much, Parallels 3.0+ should be a very good solution, but of course depends on what you're doing. Parallels: $99 US, (I think).



    Try to think of budgeting for the total package over a period of 18 months. Once you get a MacBook, I think you will regret the time you spent *not* using it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Edit: Parallels is 79.99 USD
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mskunzmskunz Posts: 6member
    Actually, I'm aiming for what you have in your signature line. (Black, 2 Gigs of memory, better processor and larger hard drive.) Does the fact that the black version retains fingerprints bother you? Or would you consider that to be a better option than having a white trackpad turn a different color?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mskunz View Post


    Actually, I'm aiming for what you have in your signature line. (Black, 2 Gigs of memory, better processor and larger hard drive.) Does the fact that the black version retains fingerprints bother you? Or would you consider that to be a better option than having a white trackpad turn a different color?



    I'm not bothered with the fingerprint stuff. It gives it a slightly textured look. I can't go back to white now. Black MacBook is awesome.
Sign In or Register to comment.