Could Apple takeover Discovery channel's cycling teams sponsorship?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Once there was a professional American-sponsored cycling team called Seven/Eleven. It then begat Motorola, which begat USPS, which begat Discovery Channel. The latter three (barring disaster) will have all won the Tour de France by tomorrow.

Discovery Channel is dropping out (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...eb07/feb10news), and the team needs a new sponsor. Would the worldwide exposure be good for Apple, or are they a company that's too US-centric to benefit from the publicity (not always good these days in cycling). Would Apple shy away from cycling because of the current drug scandals?

I imagine the next sponsor will be found in a corporation directed by someone who also happens to be a cycling enthusiast. Don''t know enough about the personal habits of S.J. to make a call here. (BTW, AMD was a co-sponsor--see http://www.amdboard.com/lance_armstrong_011205.html. The other main co-sponsor is Tailwind sports, a SF-based company. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new sponsor come from the Bay Area. Larry Ellison, maybe?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I could see Apple sponsoring a runner maybe, but cycling teams have been so tainted with drug use recently that I doubt Apple would step into those shoes.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    exactly.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Dope Different
  • Reply 4 of 11
    iDope
  • Reply 5 of 11
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Since the omerta about dope in cyclism has fallen, it become more and more obvious, that the problem is huge.

The last Tour de France have reached a level of pathetism beyond words (I do not look it anymore).

I think that it would be a very bad idea for Apple to sponsorship such a team.

May be an Idope team would be funny
  • Reply 6 of 11
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Apple 'don't do' sponsorship.

They don't give computers to good causes either (exhibitions / charities / visible projects) for marketing benefit; that's the policy.

Of course, they DO, but when they do, because they don't, it's incredibly subtle.

But you won't see Apple on any sports shirts.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I seem to remember a few years back (multi colour apple logo) that an Icelandic 4X4 car had apple sponsorship. the crazy powerful ones that can drive on water.

Other than that i can't remember ever seeing apple sponsor anything (product placement in movies and TV asside)

j.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

iDope

"iRide iDope iPod"

• Reply 9 of 11
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

"iRide iDope iPod"

Then "I fired, and Iphone home"

all kidding aside, cycling will get past this, just like all the other sports have gotten past their scandals. Because it's drugs, we're less tolerant, so it may take a bit longer, as we demand zero tolerance.

I still think it would be a good entry into the European phone market for them.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnrp View Post

I seem to remember a few years back (multi colour apple logo) that an Icelandic 4X4 car had apple sponsorship. the crazy powerful ones that can drive on water.

Other than that i can't remember ever seeing apple sponsor anything (product placement in movies and TV asside)

For all you non-initiates, go to youtube and find the top gear bit with the icelandic jeeps. I'm still waiting for the Top Gear with Anthony Bourdain as the guest. . . Clarkson and Bourdain are the same person . . . it's a giant conspiracy.

Aaaanyway, I seem to recall that Apple used to sponsor a race car team. I think it was CART or something. F1 was and still is a little out of reach.

As for drug use in cycling and the idea of sponsoring a runner, runner use drugs too. It's just that there hasn't been a marketable, top runner from a developed nation since Prefontaine, so no one cares. If it weren't for Armstrong's stardom (who is allowed to shoot-up since he has no nuts) I don't think you'd see this crackdown in cycling.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ptrash View Post

all kidding aside, cycling will get past this, just like all the other sports have gotten past their scandals. Because it's drugs, we're less tolerant, so it may take a bit longer, as we demand zero tolerance.

Ya totally, I mean I like cycling, I'm not hardcore like them but 15 miles in like an 1:15 (my brother can do 30 before lunch). But Apple should like enter Europe with the iPhone and buy the team and release a special edition of the iPhone (like the U2) but for the tour.