Buying Mac Pro soon, question where to buy RAM and GPU?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, I'm buying a Mac Pro in a few weeks, but I really don't want to pay the crazy prices apple asks for ram, and their video cards.

My question is first, does the Mac Pro take a special "mac pro" style ram, and where can I get it for cheap but still a decent quality? And pretty much the same question for the video card as well, can I just throw in any video card in there?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    As far as the RAM goes, go with Crucial. Compare the prices before you buy it though. In some cases, an Apple RAM upgrade is cheaper.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

Hey, I'm buying a Mac Pro in a few weeks, but I really don't want to pay the crazy prices apple asks for ram, and their video cards.

My question is first, does the Mac Pro take a special "mac pro" style ram, and where can I get it for cheap but still a decent quality? And pretty much the same question for the video card as well, can I just throw in any video card in there?

Thanks

Don't know about the video card, but I suspect you might need a "Mac-approved" video card. Be sure before you buy.

As for the RAM, as I understand it, the RAM in the MacPro is unique. You don't have to buy from Apple, but make sure it is the right type, and buy in pairs as I recall.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Wow you can almost spend more on memory than you will for the computer itself! And I always considered memory cheap...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

Wow you can almost spend more on memory than you will for the computer itself! And I always considered memory cheap...

Can you say FB DIMMS? It rhymes with f*ck me.