8-bit LCD displays, MBP, and dithering

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anybody know if dithering automatically stops when you connect your MBP to an external 8-bit LCD display if your MBP lid is closed so that you're not using the MBP display?

I'm curious if the MBP is aware that it's connected to an external 8-bit display vs an external 6-bit display and if it turns on and off dithering in response to this.

Thanks to all who answer...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Does anybody know if dithering automatically stops when you connect your MBP to an external 8-bit LCD display if your MBP lid is closed so that you're not using the MBP display?

I'm curious if the MBP is aware that it's connected to an external 8-bit display vs an external 6-bit display and if it turns on and off dithering in response to this.

Thanks to all who answer...

The dithering that occurrs on the MBP is a result of the hardware (LCD), and I don't believe it has any effect on an external monitor. The LCD screen merely interprets the video signal in the best way it can (using dithering).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

The dithering that occurrs on the MBP is a result of the hardware (LCD), and I don't believe it has any effect on an external monitor. The LCD screen merely interprets the video signal in the best way it can (using dithering).

Yes, it's only the quality of the internal display that's affected, the full display signal gets sent to the displays, the signal is just interpreted differently. External displays look much better than the laptop internal ones and even the imac ones.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yes, it's only the quality of the internal display that's affected, the full display signal gets sent to the displays, the signal is just interpreted differently. External displays look much better than the laptop internal ones and even the imac ones.

Thanks abandonedhero and Marvin.

It'll be nice if and/or when Apple has a 15" MBP that has an 8-bit display with a higher resolution screen (more pixels/inch).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Thanks abandonedhero and Marvin.

It'll be nice if and/or when Apple has a 15" MBP that has an 8-bit display with a higher resolution screen (more pixels/inch).

i'm trying to remember from when the kafuffle over 6bit v 8bit and dithering came up, but out of curiosity, do ANY laptop/notebooks come with 8 bit displays? i don't think any other manufacturer uses them, i seem to recall... anyone?