OSX Slow

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi:

I have an early intel imac and love it. I have upgraded everything right from the day I bought it and now am running 10.4.5 and the beta of safari 3.0.2. I also run firefox and a whole bunch of other crap.

My imac has 2 gigs of ram and is a 2 ghz intel core duo.

I find the os very slow and especially safari and firefox take forever to do anything. If I launch anything else like aperture or try to burn a disc, the machine is painfull.

I have a lot of other apps which I have purchased, including parallels, etc.

I was thinking of re-installing from scratch, or an upgrade re-install to try to clean things up. I know in windows, every now and again you have to start over with a clean install, but thats windows.

I also have a mini which I use sparingly and it also has 2 gig of ram and does not have all these apps, its fine.

Any ideas why my machine takes for ever to do stuff and how best to clean it up?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    How much free space do you have on the HD? If your HD is running low, that can have an effect on performance. I suspect, however, that is not the case.

There are some regular maintenance that is warranted. I use a program called Cocktail that I run periodically to help maintain my macs. It is free or shareware. I paid for it to use its "pilot" feature so that it runs on a schedule.

You can also use the disk utility (in your utilities folder in your application folder) to repair permissions and verify your disk. This is good to do on occasion.

Also, you can boot into "Single User Mode" and run fsck. See this: FSCK

Finally, I also like to use Disk Warrior (a commercial program) ever month or so.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Hi:

Thanks very much, I'll try those before I resintall. Have lots of space on the hard drive, 80 gigg free.

Thx again
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Please let us know if it speeds up!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thanks very much, the machine is faster and no more hangs and severe slowness with safari or firefox.

Looks like it was the permissions were out on the hard drive, cleaning them up with disk utility did the trick.

Thx again,
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astutzmann View Post

Thanks very much, the machine is faster and no more hangs and severe slowness with safari or firefox.

Looks like it was the permissions were out on the hard drive, cleaning them up with disk utility did the trick.

Thx again,

Great news! Download Cocktail (if you haven't already) and run the "Pilot" every couple of weeks. It repairs permissions and a lot more. It is free and worth a lot more. Enjoy your revived Mac!