Hard to Install OS on an Apple?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am champing to buy my first apple. As a long-time PC user I have been taught to fear installing a new os on a PC. No matter what, buy a new computer before attempting to install a new os is the message. So. Is the same true of the Apple? Should I wait for Leopard? If I purchase an Apple now, will I regret being impetuous t when Leopard debuts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Have no fear. Really.

I have yet to have an update of the OS, from pre 10.0 betas through the current 10.4.10, cause any issues, on any of my machines.

Now, some people have, I won't tell you it's impossible, but it's so rare as to be in the realm of 'assume it won't happen'.

OTOH, I always make sure my backup is current before upgrading.

The only decision you have to make is... do you buy now, and spend $129 on Leopard later, or wait until Leopard is out, and get it with the machine?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jockojocko Posts: 11member
    Your recommendation is....?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Buy now, upgrade to Leopard in October or when you are ready...

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Can't help you here. Is $129 a lot of money to you? Or is it something you can drop without thinking twice? Do you need the machine now, or can you wait a while? (Waiting for the next refresh will always ensure the latest and greatest, but you may need that new hardware *today* due to other circumstances.) This is something I can't give advice on without more info. And no, nobody is quite sure when the next refresh of the hardware lines will be. \

If you need the machine now, then just buy it, and plan on the $129 when you want to upgrade. (Note 'want' - one nice thing about Apple's upgrades is that they rarely come with the sort of major leaps that MS's upgrades do, with requisite forced-march application upgrades en masse. Usually, you can upgrade the OS and your current apps will simply continue to work, and you can upgrade *those* at your leisure - it's all very relaxed. )

If you don't need the machine now, then, depending on what machine you're looking at, you may want to wait a bit to see if there's a refresh. Check this page for what is probably the best guess as to when that might happen for the line you're interested in.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    Wait for Leopard if you can. Most probably, the hardware will also have been refreshed by then. Not only will you get the new OS with the machine, you will most probably get other applications bundled as well which you would otherwise have to buy (case in point, iLife and Comic Life). If you don't need the machine right now, it is definitely a good idea to wait and then buy the machine in November (when Leopard has been out for a month and Apple has pushed out any updated hardware they'd intended to).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Buy now, upgrade to Leopard in October or when you are ready...

If you plan to buy now and upgrade to Leopard, wait until November or December when 10.5.1 comes out.