Help! Macbook keeps crashing when hooked up to Targus docking station

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello,

I just switched from pc to mac and I've had a problem when I hook up to a docking station. It would keep crashing. It actually worked fine for about a week and then started crashing every 5 minutes (I actually removed it from the docking station and it still would crash. I called apple about the problem and they sent me a replacment. Unfortunately, I hooked it up and I had a couple of crashes. I really don't want another laptop to die on me, so I'm posting here. Also, I know about the Bookendz docking station, but I really don't want to drop another $160 on a docking station

Are Macbooks meant to be hooked up to docking stations? For me a docking station is vital b/c I use a computer as a desktop replacement when I am at home and then unplug it and take it on the road.

This is the docking station that I have.

http://www.techexcess.net/targus-uni...paepr090u.aspx

There is a windows drivers cd that comes with it, but it seems to work fine without any installation.

Are Macbooks meant to be hooked up to docking stations? For me a docking station is vital b/c I use a computer as a desktop replacement when I am at home and then unplug it and take it on the road.

I'll try and be as descriptive as possible as to my setup. Hooked up to the docking station I have:

1. 5 usb ports

a. Seagate 300gb external hard drive

b. Casio Exilim EXZ50 digital camera with doc

c. Ipod Nano dock-I don't use the Ipod much when I'm home, so I keep it on the dock so it's charged

d. Logitech Cordless Desktop S 530 Laser for Mac

e. HP 5610 All-In-One Printer

2. 1 Ethernet port- I have a Linksys Wireless N router which I hook into the dock and not the mac. It allows me to have a wireless network without having an ethernet cord plugged directly into my computer.

3. Speakers- Creative Labs I-Trigue 3400 2.1 Speaker System

I used to have a belkin 7 port usb hub which I connected to the dock. I removed it b/c I thought that might be the problem. I was afraid it was too much crap hooked up to it and overpowering the mac.

Finally, after removing the 7 port hub it seems more stable, but I still get a message saying that one of the usb ports has exceeded its power allowed. I haven't had a crash yet, BUT it's making me really nervous. I'm going to test it more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    The Seagate 300gb external hard drive -- Can you use FireWire for that device only ?

And leave only

Seagate 300gb external hard drive

Casio Exilim EXZ50 digital camera with doc

Ipod Nano dock-

Logitech Cordless Desktop S 530 Laser for Mac

HP 5610 All-In-One Printer
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Well I connected the external hard drive with a firewire.....so why am I doing that??

I took the macbook to an apple store and had it looked at. I also started to use the firewire and tonight I had no crashes.

Anymore advice out there?