New shuffle?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have any idea if and when they might update the shuffle? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Not for a long, long while. It's about as tiny, fashionable, cheap, and simple as they can make it, and they're selling them by the truckload. If a new Shuffle comes out before Christmas 2008, I'll eat one.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I would say whenever flash chip prices drop. 2GB. Same colors. Prob. within a year or so.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Not for a long, long while. It's about as tiny, fashionable, cheap, and simple as they can make it, and they're selling them by the truckload. If a new Shuffle comes out before Christmas 2008, I'll eat one.

The same rumor site that's been referenced lately concerning the two new iPod revisions is saying they may indeed add a screen to the shuffle and rename it.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I would say whenever flash chip prices drop. 2GB. Same colors. Prob. within a year or so.

Maybe but I think in terms of practicality, there's a limit to how much space you should put in a shuffle. I suppose if you used it for extra files, it would be different but in the interests of it being a song player, I think 250 songs is enough to flip through manually. I'd far rather see cheaper nanos. I'm dying to get a nano myself but I find £130 for a 4GB player to be way too much considering a 4GB pen drive can be bought for £20. £79-99 I would consider to be a reasonable price.

The shuffle has some limitations too like you can't delete tracks or something, you have to erase and copy songs back on. I can't remember exactly but it's not something I'd want to buy.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    I don't know of any "can't delete" limitation on the Shuffle. If anything, its contents can be managed in MORE ways than on a standard iPod (there's the Auto Fill).

You're right about the storage size, though - skipping blindly through 2 or 4 GB or songs doesn't sound like fun. The new Shuffle doesn't make a very good portable storage device (you'd have to carry the dock as well) so 1 GB sounds pretty golden for now.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Ok, if not for size increases or price drops, what could possibly be updated in a shuffle? As a tech device goes, it's pretty simple and would be hard to improve without redesigning the whole UI/user experience which would basically be making a new device, right?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

You must be hungry.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Don't expect a new Shuffle anytime soon. At the moment the Shuffle is as good as it gets. It's small, light, colourful, not to mention cheap. The only thing you could expect is a price drop or a memory increase. Further more there is also the Zen Stone Plus which is just as small but also features a little screen.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

Don't expect a new Shuffle anytime soon. At the moment the Shuffle is as good as it gets. It's small, light, colourful, not to mention cheap. The only thing you could expect is a price drop or a memory increase. Further more there is also the Zen Stone Plus which is just as small but also features a little screen.

I'd personally prefer if the shuffle didn't get a screen, it's more intimate this way. I can lie on my bed with my eyes closed and 50 or more songs on my shuffle and can more around knowing where they are. It's even more about the music this way. What's more I would still choose a shuffle over a nano if they were both the same $79 price. More storage is a given.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Ok, if not for size increases or price drops, what could possibly be updated in a shuffle? As a tech device goes, it's pretty simple and would be hard to improve without redesigning the whole UI/user experience which would basically be making a new device, right?

What if it shuffled twice as much?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

The same rumor site that's been referenced lately concerning the two new iPod revisions is saying they may indeed add a screen to the shuffle and rename it.

What if the 2GB nano becomes the new shuffle? Of course, it would no longer need to be called the shuffle.

What if the iPod nano gets a little wider and shorter, gets a new 320 x 240 screen, keeps the clickwheel, gets a new OS and GUI? Keep the anodized aluminum and the thin design. New colors. Plays video, movies.

What if the HDD-based iPod gets the iPhone treatment? Shorten the iPhone by .5", ditch the cell radio, earphone, camera, and maybe the microphone and speaker (it'd be cool if those last two were retained). Keep the Bluetooth and WiFi features. What if a 100GB version were to be $399? How about a 50GB version for $299? Run OS X on it (Leopard).

What if this new, true video iPod came in anodized aluminum colors of silver and black? Maybe even a (PRODUCT) RED version.

Lots and lots of possibilities. New iPods this fall: Sept/Oct.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

What if it shuffled twice as much?

Double-shuffling? Just imagine!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Double-shuffling? Just imagine!

Is that similar to double-stuffing oreos?