Macbooks with Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have another question that I hope can be answered I was looking at the tech specs for both of the white Macbooks, and I noticed that one has a Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW), and the other a 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW). Now, my question relates to the Macbook with the Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW); if I were to buy this Macbook and make various DVD movies/photo slideshows using iLife, would it be possible to burn the DVD movies/slideshows to a regular CD to play in a DVD player? I am not quite sure how iLife works, and what file types it spews out when you save them, but is it possible to convert them to the necessary file types that would be needed to burn them to a regular, burnable CD that would allow them to play on a DVD player? If there is more information needed, feel free to ask for it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briiaann View Post

I have another question that I hope can be answered I was looking at the tech specs for both of the white Macbooks, and I noticed that one has a Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW), and the other a 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW). Now, my question relates to the Macbook with the Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW); if I were to buy this Macbook and make various DVD movies/photo slideshows using iLife, would it be possible to burn the DVD movies/slideshows to a regular CD to play in a DVD player? I am not quite sure how iLife works, and what file types it spews out when you save them, but is it possible to convert them to the necessary file types that would be needed to burn them to a regular, burnable CD that would allow them to play on a DVD player? If there is more information needed, feel free to ask for it!

iLife does not burn to VCD or any other CD format that would play on a DVD player unfortunately.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Must have a DVD burner to take advantage of these features, although with iLife '06, Apple added support for external DVD burners, a feature that was missing in previous versions of the iLife suite. I am running an older Mac laptop with a $30 external DVD burner that I picked on Black Friday of last year. It is working just fine. I can't burn DVDs "on the road" but when I am traveling I never have time / desire to haul around discs to burn anyway.

Go with what works, right? So I would compare other features of the different machines, as this problem is easily solved, unless you need that built-in "burn on the go" feature.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yeah. I don't need it on the go. If I can solve the problem by simply buying an external DVD burner, that would be great.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Yeah. I don't need it on the go. If I can solve the problem by simply buying an external DVD burner, that would be great.

Then I would say to do some price shopping and/or wait until the day after Thanksgiving for some potential door-busters and tough it out without a burner in the meantime.

Good luck!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    What brand is yours, if you don't mind me asking. So far the ones that I've found are only PC compatible...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I've had a lacie dvd burner (the lightscribe model) for a while now and it works great.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I just have this cheap one made by I/O Magic. Like I said, got a great deal on it. I had my eye on the Lightscribe, as was mentioned, but stock ran out where I was shopping.