Dvorak - Me and My Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Me and My Mac

That's right. I'm using a Mac, and, surprise, I like it.

By John C. Dvorak

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2162397,00.asp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    Interesting find. I would actually come to the same conclusion having been a Mac user and now using XP at work about 2 days a week and on and off at home:

"I cannot see much of a difference between the Mac and PC. It's a computer. It runs the same old applications (more or less), and it gets the job done, albeit somewhat more elegantly."

The Mac just feels better, Windows has all these window panels that don't load in fully before you see them and you end up with just the window border for a few seconds. The fans are noisy when the computer does anything remotely CPU intensive. The fonts aren't anti-aliased. Pressing the up and down keys when editing text like URLs doesn't move the cursor. The Windows cut/paste to simply move a file up a hierarchy is more time consuming than using column view.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Interesting find. I would actually come to the same conclusion having been a Mac user and now using XP at work about 2 days a week and on and off at home:

"I cannot see much of a difference between the Mac and PC. It's a computer. It runs the same old applications (more or less), and it gets the job done, albeit somewhat more elegantly."

The Mac just feels better, Windows has all these window panels that don't load in fully before you see them and you end up with just the window border for a few seconds. The fans are noisy when the computer does anything remotely CPU intensive. The fonts aren't anti-aliased. Pressing the up and down keys when editing text like URLs doesn't move the cursor. The Windows cut/paste to simply move a file up a hierarchy is more time consuming than using column view.

Have you noticed any change in incidences of "blue screen of death" in PC's- when nothing works and you have to reboot? I haven't used my 2 home PC's since a year after I bought my first Mac. I was getting the 'blue screen' problem several times a week. I had enough of that cr_p. I have never used the PC's at home since. I have to use PC's at work and I hate them. The Pc's are just a tool, but I love my Mac. I used PC's for about twenty years before switching. To me, it was like walking through a tunnel and emerging into the (Mac) light. How's that for an epiphany?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Have you noticed any change in incidences of "blue screen of death" in PC's- when nothing works and you have to reboot? I haven't used my 2 home PC's since a year after I bought my first Mac. I was getting the 'blue screen' problem several times a week. I had enough of that cr_p. I have never used the PC's at home since. I have to use PC's at work and I hate them. The Pc's are just a tool, but I love my Mac. I used PC's for about twenty years before switching. To me, it was like walking through a tunnel and emerging into the (Mac) light. How's that for an epiphany?

Yeah that's the thing though, I think that if you've been on one side long enough, you start to see more faults. I haven't had a single blue screen with Windows except trying to launch it inside a virtual machine like Parallels. I have encountered a few kernel panics though, which are the Mac equivalent.

I can't say that Windows is attractive to me at all because the machine I use at work is a hyper-threaded 3.8GHz Pentium 4 and my dual 1.66GHz mini is more responsive. One thing that I prefer about Windows though is the launch times of programs and snappiness in general - I know those two things I just said kind of conflict but I mean that by design, Windows is snappy but the computer I use at work isn't. Leopard fixes this problem pretty well and makes OS X quite a bit more responsive but then there's the ability to have custom themes. I am so sick of the stupid aqua interface after 7 years. Leopard will have a slight change but it's not hugely different from Uno applied to Tiger plus it has a lot of ugly bits on top.