About the Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, I got a question here;

In October, when the Leopard is gonna come out, will Apple start selling all of their computers along with it? How will it affect the price?

Is it worth buying a Mac now (with Tiger), and then update it to Leopard later on?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spug View Post

Hey, I got a question here;

In October, when the Leopard is gonna come out, will Apple start selling all of their computers along with it? How will it affect the price?

Is it worth buying a Mac now (with Tiger), and then update it to Leopard later on?

Thanks!

They will be the same price for the same product, and I'd definitely get one now if you want one.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Leopard will cost $129, I'm not sure how they handle upgrades but all new Macs sold on Leopard's launch day should come with it installed.

Sebastian

I believe Apple will give you an upgrade disk if your Mac doesn't have the current OS pre-installed. This means reinstalls will always be a two-step process; (1) install Tiger from the disk that came with your Mac, then (2) use the upgrade disks to get Leopard installed. I believe the same goes for the iLife suite when a new Mac is purchased with the old version pre-installed, but the newest version is available for sale.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    spugspug Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I believe Apple will give you an upgrade disk if your Mac doesn't have the current OS pre-installed. This means reinstalls will always be a two-step process; (1) install Tiger from the disk that came with your Mac, then (2) use the upgrade disks to get Leopard installed. I believe the same goes for the iLife suite when a new Mac is purchased with the old version pre-installed, but the newest version is available for sale.

So basically, I just should get a Mac now?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

And by now you mean after tuesday, right? Actually if you want/need to save the $129, you will have to wait until A.) Leopard comes out in October, or B.) They announce the date for Leopard and offer a free upgrade coupon for purchases before it comes out (hopefully).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    1) When Leopard is released, all machines will ship with it included.

2) If, after Leopard is released, you get a machine that was shipped with 10.4 (ie, one shipped out before Leopard was released, but sold after), you can get a 'free' upgrade from Apple, where 'free' = cost of shipping, handling, and media, which is usually $20.

3) *Usually* major OS releases have come with a caveat - if you purchased your machine within 30 days prior to Leopard's release, you can get that $20 special. If more than 30 days before, then you have to pay the full $129. No idea if they'll do that this time though.

Basic rule of thumb - if you can wait, do so. You'll get a better machine/OS for the price. If you can't wait, then buy now, because you actually need to get work done.

There's a press conference next Tuesday concerning new products, so definitely don't buy before then.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

I say wait for Leopard unless you absolutely need a Mac now because Leopard is tentatively scheduled for an October release which is only 57-86 days away. I expect Steve to give us an update as to when it will be released even if is "Still scheduled for an October release."
  • Reply 8 of 10
    spugspug Posts: 8member
    Thanks alot everyone!!

I believe it's worth waiting!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    Yes, it is. Good decision.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Leopard disks (and all other upgrade disks from Apple) allow for a clean-install. This would make what you describe unnecessary.