Switched...From XPress to InDesign

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently began working for a small company who publishes 4 monthly newspapers and a monthly magazine. One of my first jobs was to acquire "legal" software. It saved them almost $2,500 to buy 4 Adobe Design Collections instead of upgrading their 2 XPresses, buying 2 new XPresses, upgrading 1 Photoshop, 3 new Photoshops, upgrading 1 Illustrator, 3 new Illustrators, and 4 new Acrobats.



Has anyone else made the switch to InDesign? Our printer is a Quark shop and isn't willing to buy InDesign and "train" an employee to use it.



I want to send them a single 64 page, or whatever, PDF file. Any thoughts? Oh, they do use Enfocus' PitStop Professional.



Any comments from people who've done they same thing would be appreciated.



[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: fahlman ]</p>

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by fahlman:

    <strong>

    Has anyone else made the switch to InDesign? Our printer is a Quark shop and isn't willing to buy InDesign and "train" an employee to use it.



    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    i'd get a new printer. if they don't value your business enough to invest a relatively small amount of change to get up to speed on indesign, fire their asses or threaten to. see how fast they change their tune. there are plenty of places that would love to work for you in these tough economic times. screw those that don't.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

    <strong>



    i'd get a new printer. if they don't value your business enough to invest a relatively small amount of change to get up to speed on indesign, fire their asses or threaten to. see how fast they change their tune. there are plenty of places that would love to work for you in these tough economic times. screw those that don't.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I was going to agree (really I do agree, but...) this printshop probably is still running OS 9...like many others are. So it may not be an InDesign issue...more a "We run on OS 9...so does Quark and a lot of other software we use on a daily basis...").
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Personally I made the swap to InDesign a while ago, but we used XPress where I work until recently: today I sent off my first InDesign print job to our printer. He grumbled but accepted the job. It'll be interesting to see how he copes with it and prints it. Huzzah!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    We send everything in PDF format now so it doesn't matter what we use on the back end.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

    <strong>



    I was going to agree (really I do agree, but...) this printshop probably is still running OS 9...like many others are. So it may not be an InDesign issue...more a "We run on OS 9...so does Quark and a lot of other software we use on a daily basis...").</strong><hr></blockquote>



    that's no excuse artman. how hard would it be to have a work station or three able to boot into X and run indesign? not hard at all. back in my pre-press days, my those days where dark and cold, we always had the latest and greatest just in case. you never knew when some clueless deisgner was going to slip you a canvas or (shudder) pagemaker file. as far as traing goes, it's not like it's hard. especially if you know quark already.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Um, InDesign 2.x will run in OS 9.



    No excuse. Just a lazy printer afraid of the future.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,053member
    send them PDF files and they should be fine. we use ID in 10.2 and we still ouput postscript and run distiller, just because some printers have their own distiller joboptions. but also because it makes nicer & cleaner PDF's.



    if only adobe would do distiller for X and i could bin classic...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

    <strong>

    if only adobe would do distiller for X and i could bin classic...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Amen, brother. Amen. Joboptions rule.
Sign In or Register to comment.