Lightroom or Aperture replacing iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I use Adobe Lightroom as of now for all my photos. Does the new iPhoto offer anything that Lightroom or Aperture doesn't offer organization wise?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I use Adobe Lightroom as of now for all my photos. Does the new iPhoto offer anything that Lightroom or Aperture doesn't offer organization wise?

Lightroom/Aperture organize things in a DIFFERENT way than iPhoto because the people using each have different needs. Pros need a way to organize tens of thousands of photos (if not hundreds of thousands of photos), edit them non-destructively, etc. iPhoto organizes things (now with '08) into Events, which is something that is only really useful to consumers.

Do you do professional photography? If so, I recommend Aperture (not Lightroom -- Aperture is better). If you just do family/friends/life/casual photography, stick with iPhoto.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well, I have Lightroom as of now, just because I have the rest of the CS3 Design suite and I know all of them very good. Moving over the Lightroom was easy as hell, but I was stuck between Lightroom and Aperture for a while. I did read a few reviews where Lightroom was said to be better in some things, so that kind of helped my decision.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Well, I have Lightroom as of now, just because I have the rest of the CS3 Design suite and I know all of them very good. Moving over the Lightroom was easy as hell, but I was stuck between Lightroom and Aperture for a while. I did read a few reviews where Lightroom was said to be better in some things, so that kind of helped my decision.

I've used both. Aperture is far superior. Better user-interface, better organization, and certainly a more mature than lightroom in terms of development for it.

Aperture has approximately a 10 min learning curve, literally.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    well, I have herd and read in multiple places that the raw importing in lightroom is a lot better. I also herd that aperture boggs down a lot when doing a lot of editing or when you have to many photos in your library. I haven't tried it, and I plan on it when I get home on Monday. These types of apps don't have much of a learning curve at all because you know what need to be done to the photo to begin with, and everything is in front of you frm the start. No menus or hidden stuff anywhere, it's all in your face, which I like a lot.