Pages '08 (v3.0)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been working with Pages all last evening and this morning. The new version is definitely an improvement on v1.0 (the last version of Pages I tried). With Numbers now a part of the iWork package, I can almost taste the demise of Microsoft Office on my system. I have several questions about Pages that working with the application, reading the user guide, and looking at the video tutorials have not answered.

1) Is there a keyboard shortcut for adding a footnote? If not, is it possible to assign one to that function somehow? I can't find a way to do this anywhere in the software. I keep having to click on Insert->Footnote which is going to get really old, really fast.

2) Is there a way to change the font for all styles quickly? Something like a "master font" for a particular document? I've been able to change the font for all the styles of the blank template and then save it as a new template, but it still seems like there should be an easier way of doing this.

3) Is there a way to do cross-references in Pages? It doesn't seem to be touted as a feature, but I seem to remember reading something, somewhere that it was possible.

4) How have previous versions of Pages handled long documents? Complex documents? Word is notorious for screwing things up in theses and dissertations. Has anyone written something as significant as a thesis/dissertation in Pages?

Honestly, what I've seen of Pages (v3.0) thus far has really impressed me. I wouldn't be surprised if it replaces Word within the next month on my system. Numbers easily replaces Excel for me (I use spreadsheets very infrequently and never anything complex) and Keynote is in a completely different ballpark compared to PowerPoint. If Pages can do the things I need it to do better than Word (the only piece of MS Office I use regularly), I don't see any reason to keep using Word.

Looking forward to the responses...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    #2 is definitely possible. I did that in Pages 2.0 all the time. Can't remember off the top of my head though.

I use Pages for my documentation which is about 90 pages long with a hundred images and various typography. I also have InDesign CS3 but prefer Pages for long manuals.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

#2 is definitely possible. I did that in Pages 2.0 all the time. Can't remember off the top of my head though.

I use Pages for my documentation which is about 90 pages long with a hundred images and various typography. I also have InDesign CS3 but prefer Pages for long manuals.

Any information on how to change the "master font" for all styles would be much appreciated!

Good to hear that your long documents have worked well in Pages. That's good news indeed!