Fall Purchase...New Ipods : /

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey First Post...

Well my question to all you apple heads is...I am going to university this fall and need a laptop, and of course i am choosing a macbook. Now i am happy with the 1099 Model (2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/1GB memory/80GB hard drive/Combo drive)...Minus the Combo Drive. So my question is should i just buy this and replace the combo drive with a DVD/CD burner from a third party? How hard would the installation be? (I ask because you can buy dvd burners for laptops for very cheap and it would save me the 200 dollars for upgrading to the next macbook.

Next question is...I will be getting the free nano deal if i buy a computer...Im thinking the black 8gb Nano(I would only have to spen 50 dollars as it is a 200 rebate towards any Music player) Now what worries me is the new ipod line SHOULD be released this Septemeber...Which i have been waiting AGES for! So should i get the 4 or 8gb nano and sell it brand new once i recieve it to put towards the new ipod?!?! Or keep it and be happy?

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Upgrade to the 30 gig vidoe. I was in the same boat you are in. I recently bought a MBP, got the 30G ipod, free printer, and apple care (you gotta have this if ur a college student). Everything was discounted through my university. Apple care is I believe 100 dollars off the original price. I paid 240 for a 3 year apple care for my MBP. When the new ipods are released odds are that the first batch isnt going to have all of the bugs worked out. So you will want to wait to get one until the are refined. But then again we are dealing with apple so on the other hand the new iPod is going to be amazing when it is released and it will more than likely work flawlessly. I still suggest going with the 30G video just because of its proven reliability and its ease of use. I hope I didnt ramble on too much!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kman7607 View Post

Upgrade to the 30 gig vidoe. I was in the same boat you are in. I recently bought a MBP, got the 30G ipod, free printer, and apple care (you gotta have this if ur a college student). Everything was discounted through my university. Apple care is I believe 100 dollars off the original price. I paid 240 for a 3 year apple care for my MBP. When the new ipods are released odds are that the first batch isnt going to have all of the bugs worked out. So you will want to wait to get one until the are refined. But then again we are dealing with apple so on the other hand the new iPod is going to be amazing when it is released and it will more than likely work flawlessly. I still suggest going with the 30G video just because of its proven reliability and its ease of use. I hope I didnt ramble on too much!

Hey thanks for the reply...see i am thinking of getting a nano because i HATE harddrives. Im in the ipod repair business and let me tell you harddrives suck. I a want solid state flash based player which could last me years of taken care of. I am just sick of broken harddrives. (I already had a video and it was awesome, but got stolen...so now i have a 4th gen 20 gb and a 1st gen 20 gb [mod ]) So i am thinking 8gb nano ; ) and use my old ones to store the bulk of my music on for trips ect.

You got apple care? its 249 i believe so i dont know if im gonna do it...i take great care of stuff so i dont think i really need it. But do you think the next level up is worth it for the macbook???

or should i get the 1099 model and replace the cd drive? (its a disgrace apple releases any product w/o a dvd burner

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 5
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    If you want the Superdrive, just pay $200 more for the Superdrive version. Replacing the combo drive yourself will void the warranty. Plus, 40 GB larger hard disk and slightly faster CPU can be nice to have (although probably not sufficient to offset $200 premium). BTW, you do know that you get MacBook for $100 less if you get it as a college student, right?

I strongly recommend getting AppleCare because something will likely break in 3 years of usage (notebooks just aren't that durable if you carry it around). It costs $183, not $249, for college students. In addition, use American Express to extend the warranty by 1 year.

As for the iPod, the 5.5G iPod will likely see an update in a month or two (MacWorld Paris maybe?), so I would personally get easier-to-eBay nano. eBay it and get 6G iPod at later time.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kman7607 View Post

Haha. Ah man, I'm sorry but what a crock. My first gen mini stopped working less than a year after I got it and Apple didn't support it. My friend's nano, a couple of months out of warranty and it no longer turns off. Other friend's rev a fourth gen just stopped a couple of weeks out of warranty.

To make matters worse we all had problems that many other people reported to Apple (40+ for my problem on their discussion boards).

tl;dr Get Rev B.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john.outwater View Post

Haha. Ah man, I'm sorry but what a crock. My first gen mini stopped working less than a year after I got it and Apple didn't support it. My friend's nano, a couple of months out of warranty and it no longer turns off. Other friend's rev a fourth gen just stopped a couple of weeks out of warranty.

To make matters worse we all had problems that many other people reported to Apple (40+ for my problem on their discussion boards).

tl;dr Get Rev B.

so which player do you prefer?

technology will always have flaws...

Ipods are really easy to work on if they do break...and hell if i can get a free nano w/a macbook why not?