*** Macbook shuts down after contecting to internet ***

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi everyone.

I have a black macbook along with AOL internet via wireless router. Normally I would go to the top to turn on my wireless signal and it would work fine. Today, I tried it and my computer just shut off. I turned it back on, and everything works fine. As soon as I turn on the airport again, it shuts off.

Anyone have any suggestions?

It has the latest software. 10.4.9 and AOL is also the latest. Also: the router is fairly new.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Does it kernel panic (show a grey screen telling you to restart) or just turn off?

If it's the latter, test the computer with your hardware test disc - boot the installer holding the 'd' key. Whatever it says, you are probably going to have to take it back to Apple for repair but the test might give you some certainty about hardware failure.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I would recommend the following:

1. Start from your install CD. To do so, insert the CD and hold the "C" key until the white screen is replaced by a blue one.

2. After selecting the main language, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility.

3. Check your startup volume and fix the errors, if any. If there are errors, you may want to backup your data before trying to fix. I never had a corrupted disk after fixing errors (I used to service some Macs beside my own ones) but it is better to play it safe.

4. Restart normally and connect to the Apple support using wired Ethernet, download the latest 10.4.10 combo update (or 10.4.9, if you have a reason to avoid 10.4.9) and reapply it. Disconnect any devices during update and quit all application besides the Installer app. Note that after some updates the first restart takes long time and your computer may be automatically restarted twice. This is the case with the combo updates as well. For this reason it is better to be plugged to the power.

5. Select Software Update... from the Apple menu and apply any other updates if needed.