international keyboard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
can the international keyboard be converted into a finnish keyboard by just changing the operating system within the mac? i know this works on windows...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Yeah, you can just change settings.

System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu.

Check Finnish, Keyboard Viewer and any additional layouts you want from the list. Then check "Show input menu in menu bar" from the bottom to have easy access to the keyboard viewer. If you aren't a fluent touch typer and want to sometimes check where a particular key is.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    since im new i just want to check that i got this correct: there are two letter in finnish that are not in english. is it possible toget these two letter into the international keyboard by just replacing a few buttons on the macbook keyboard?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    So you'd want to assign äö to some of the less used buttons on the US layout in order to have mostly accurate labels on the physical keys, correct?

It's possible. You can actually roll up your sleeves and hand-edit XML files to create unique layouts. I don't know the specifics, haven't done it myself.

Searching macosxhints.com turned up this tool that should make it more user friendly:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14495

As a quick fix, while you are using the US layout:

Option-U, o -> ö

Option-U, O -> Ö

Option-U, a -> ä

Option-U, A -> Ä

Yet another option is to enable both US and Finnish layouts, then toggle between the two with Command-Space. Works well for a touch typer like me.

(Cmd-Space) Eli näin. (Cmd-Space)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thank you so much! this really helped...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    so if i opt to take the international keyboard the hassle of using the two letters isn't that big?