Parallels and Internet connection problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've spent the last 3 nights in a hotel that I normally stay at. They have wireless Internet. I never have had any problems with the Internet there.

This time, my OS X Internet worked just dandy, but my Windows Internet, under Parallels, would not work at all.

Here's my configuration:

MacBook Core Duo

1GB RAM

Windows XP Home

Parallels is using about 500M of RAM.

I had a thought last night that might be the answer, but I'll leave that to the experts.

Could the wireless router that I was on, one of about ten routers, have also had a Windows running on it with the same name? I didn't even think about trying a different router until I returned home last night.

I just need to know in case it happens again. I was stuck with out my online poker for the three nights!

By the way, upon returning home, the Windows Internet worked just fine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I've spent the last 3 nights in a hotel that I normally stay at. They have wireless Internet. I never have had any problems with the Internet there.

This time, my OS X Internet worked just dandy, but my Windows Internet, under Parallels, would not work at all.

Here's my configuration:

MacBook Core Duo

1GB RAM

Windows XP Home

Parallels is using about 500M of RAM.

I had a thought last night that might be the answer, but I'll leave that to the experts.

Could the wireless router that I was on, one of about ten routers, have also had a Windows running on it with the same name? I didn't even think about trying a different router until I returned home last night.

I just need to know in case it happens again. I was stuck with out my online poker for the three nights!

By the way, upon returning home, the Windows Internet worked just fine.

I do not claim to be an expert <g> - but I can suggest you repost your question to the experts on the Parallels Forum boards. You can find them at: http://forum.parallels.com/

They will need to know the version of Parallels & XP you are running along with the RAM allocation to Parallels.

As a side thought which may not be relevant. I typically travel with my Airport Express which I plug into the wired internet connection in hotel rooms I stay in - thus gaining wireless in my hotel. Occasionally, and for no reason I can decipher, the Express will stop transmitting a signal (although the wired connection will work). Rebooting the Express to factory settings solves the problem (just remember to reset the WPA security). I was not clear if you were bringing your own router, or using the hotel's setup, but in either case suggesting a reboot might solve the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morgenl View Post

I do not claim to be an expert <g> - but I can suggest you repost your question to the experts on the Parallels Forum boards. You can find them at: http://forum.parallels.com/

They will need to know the version of Parallels & XP you are running along with the RAM allocation to Parallels.

As a side thought which may not be relevant. I typically travel with my Airport Express which I plug into the wired internet connection in hotel rooms I stay in - thus gaining wireless in my hotel. Occasionally, and for no reason I can decipher, the Express will stop transmitting a signal (although the wired connection will work). Rebooting the Express to factory settings solves the problem (just remember to reset the WPA security). I was not clear if you were bringing your own router, or using the hotel's setup, but in either case suggesting a reboot might solve the problem.

I tried rebooting several times, with no good results. The internet worked fine under OS X but not Windows.

I was directly connected to the Internet thru the hotel's wireless router.

I'll contact Parallels.