.Mac HomePage

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any chance that Apple will upgrade the HomePage software any time soon? Is there any way I can further customize my HomePage? I am getting bored with the same tired designs and limited options... but I am not really dedicated enough to buy my own domain (nor smart enough to configure it).

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I hope they do more than what you suggest, as I seriously doubt I will anty-up at the end of the year when it is renewel time. I initially went for the $50 sign-up because I thought it would get better. They enticed me by offering "free backup and virus software". Well, they say you get what you pay for...the virus software isn't bad, but it isn't great. The same definitely goes for the backup software (maybe moreso). So in September Apple is going to ask me for $100 to basically have the same tools that were once free (and still aren't worth $100), and I don't see that being worth-while. Hopefully we'll see some serious changes with .Mac, otherwise for me it will be .Gone
  • Reply 2 of 7
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, that sounds likely...an annual major refresh to .Mac with minor additions over the course of the year....keeping customers coming back.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Yes, the homepage designs are getting rather stale, especially if one uses it often.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If Apple turned .Mac into a full Internet Service Provider, instead of just another Yahoo, I think a lot more Mac people would sign up.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    you know, i assume, that you can make your OWN WEB PAGES and post them to your iDisk !!

If you don't care to shell out for Dreamweaver, then Appleworks does an OK job at laying out BASIC pages (save as... HTML)

It's by no means a web-design program, but maybe it's better than having your page look exactly like everyone elses ?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Yes you can, I've bumped a few microsites up there. It's just a bog-standard HTTP server at heart...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot:

<strong>If you don't care to shell out for Dreamweaver, then Appleworks does an OK job at laying out BASIC pages (save as... HTML)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

They needn't even be basic at all. Of course, then you'd have to take some time out to get into HTML and CSS, but if you do, it will be rewarding. You don't need anything but TextEdit to be a webdesigner, though BBEdit and some pixel app helps.