DVD Burning question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello All,

I finally made the switch to Mac and I purchased the MacBook Pro and I love it. I used a program on my old desktop called CloneDvd to make dvd backups of movies. I am wondering if there is a program that is similar out there for Macs.

Also I downloaded Aquisition for my Mac but I can't get any hits when I search for files. Is there a better program or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Welcome to the platform.

First thing, you should really do a search, as this topic comes up a lot.

Second thing, check out www.ripdifferent.com.

Third thing, download MacTheRipper. And donate for the beta...it's worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Before you donate, download the free version and learn how it works. This will rip most older DVD's and even some newer ones that the newer beta won't:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

Go to their forum, and learn more.

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=26

There's a lot more to ripping on the Mac than there is on the PC, unfortunately, and it's not nearly as easy. Read through the Forum for MacTheRipper. I can't emphasize this enough. Some DVD's will rip just fine, especially the older ones, but it *can* take a lot of time and effort without any guarantee of success.

I'm not trying to be negative here, I just thought it would be easier than it is, and you should know what to expect.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hologram View Post

There's a lot more to ripping on the Mac than there is on the PC, unfortunately, and it's not nearly as easy. Read through the Forum for MacTheRipper. I can't emphasize this enough. Some DVD's will rip just fine, especially the older ones, but it *can* take a lot of time and effort without any guarantee of success.

I'm not trying to be negative here, I just thought it would be easier than it is, and you should know what to expect.

Could you elaborate on the differences? I've never tried ripping on a PC (don't have one), but I have never had much of a problem on macs.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Could you elaborate on the differences? I've never tried ripping on a PC (don't have one), but I have never had much of a problem on macs.

I have a Mac for everything important (an OLD one, at that, getting a new iMac soon!), but a couple of years ago I got a pc for gaming.

I tried MTR with mixed success but got really frustrated when I kept getting error messages I couldn't understand, skipping sound, skipping and/or freezing video, and a bunch of semi-expensive coasters. Not with every film I tried to rip, but enough to make me give it up as a bad idea.

On top of that, even when it works it's only stage 1. You rip the film to disk but you might still have to have another application to remove empty cells and/or compress the film to fit on a DVD, and you definitely need another one to burn it with. Some people have success with DVD2One, some have it with Toast, you might have to experiment.

I was using 2.6.6 (the free version), but reading the forum I could see that people were having just as many, if not more, problems with the latest beta. It might solve one problem, but create another, and there are a lot of reports of the older version working where the new one won't. And, to make it worse, it seems to have a particular problem with the brand (Matsushita) of burner that came standard in Macs up until now (don't know about the new release), and the standard advice is to get an external burner. I just don't have the time, the desire, or the dedication to spend on something as problematic as this.

Then one day I heard about DVDFab Platinum for the PC and tried it. Wow, talk about a revelation! You put the DVD you want to copy in one drive, a blank DVD in another (my pc has 2 drives), and launch DVDFab. A window opens asking you if you want a full-disk copy (with menus, etc.) or just the main feature. Make your choice, click "Copy" and that's it. If it needs to be compressed it does it automatically. A half hour later you have your copy.

There are probably some disks that it might have a problem with, but I haven't run across one yet. It's simple, elegant, and exactly the opposite of the usual Mac <> PC relationship. I love my Mac, but the PC does have an edge in two areas: gaming and copying DVD's. I'm disappointed, because I was hoping to do my burning on my new iMac.\