I f*cking hate Microsoft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Being a freelancer, it's impossible to avoid using Microsoft software.

Powerpoint, Word and Excel are constant thorns in my side, and then there's the indignity of having to use Entourage.

Just how Microsoft manage to make their software SO unintuitive is beyond me. I mean, how is it possible? They must do shit-loads of user testing and then do the exact opposite of what the results suggest. It's beyond me how they manage to bury - what I would otherwise expect to be the basic necessities - deep behind dialog boxes and buttons.

It surely can't be an accident that their stuff is so bad? Do the IT departments have a vested interest - buy Microsoft and you'll always have a job?

I made the mistake of buying an Xbox 360, under the mistaken belief that even Microsoft would surely manage to pull-off a closed system with some degree of competence. But not so. After 13 months of light usage (it sat in box for the last seven months because we were moving renovating) I pull it out to discover that it is suffering from the red circle of death.

I f*cking hate Microsoft.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Being a freelancer, it's impossible to avoid using Microsoft software.

The way their business operates clearly has major flaws. That's the only conclusion I can reach, because I'm confounded as well. I can understand that they might want to deliver intentionally bad software to the markets they have monopolies in, but the fact that the XBox is such a piece seems to indicate that the failures are, indeed, unintentional.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    It puzzles me how MS reaches dominance in the markets they compete in. Not all mind you but many.

Look at the xbox 360. It has an incredible failure rate but look at the titles they have compared to the PS 3. I would bet that the PS 3 will be a more dependable machine and looks much better but title wise I'm amazed at how much more is available for the X box 360. Yes I know the PS 3 is much newer but I would have thought it would've been closer by now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It puzzles me how MS reaches dominance in the markets they compete in. Not all mind you but many.

Look at the xbox 360. It has an incredible failure rate but look at the titles they have compared to the PS 3. I would bet that the PS 3 will be a more dependable machine and looks much better but title wise I'm amazed at how much more is available for the X box 360. Yes I know the PS 3 is much newer but I would have thought it would've been closer by now.

It costs more and it is much more of a departure from existing programming methods. One constant in the universe is that programmers are lazy. The PS3 will most likely catch up eventually, even if only to provide a solid foundation for the PS4, which will undoubtedly compete in a market where all the contenders are using Cell-like chips. Considering that Sony still sells more PS2's per month than Microsoft sells XBoxes (all types), there's still a long way to go. As far as I can tell no player has dominance in the video game market. Microsoft reached market dominance in their other markets by being in the right place at the right time.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It costs more and it is much more of a departure from existing programming methods. One constant in the universe is that programmers are lazy. The PS3 will most likely catch up eventually, even if only to provide a solid foundation for the PS4, which will undoubtedly compete in a market where all the contenders are using Cell-like chips. Considering that Sony still sells more PS2's per month than Microsoft sells XBoxes (all types), there's still a long way to go. As far as I can tell no player has dominance in the video game market. Microsoft reached market dominance in their other markets by being in the right place at the right time.

I'm looking at it as a comparison between the 360 and the PS3. Perhaps that is flawed. Right now the 360 just seems to be clobbering the PS3 and it puzzles me given the problems the 360 has. I guess part of it is that MS users must expect the worst and are satisfied if that occurs.

Apple users debate issues like screen glare and and sue over scratches on their Nanos. 360 users just seem to take it in stride.

You got me.. I don't get it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Most of them are so beaten down by their Windows experience, they're willing to assume that all electronics are *supposed* to crash, die, and be crappy. :P
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm looking at it as a comparison between the 360 and the PS3. Perhaps that is flawed. Right now the 360 just seems to be clobbering the PS3 and it puzzles me given the problems the 360 has.

The PS3 isn't really that far behind in sales numbers, and IIRC it has overtaken the 360 after tow things happened: the PS3 price drop and the 360 recall. We'll see if these are lasting. Either way, I'm not too concerned, since I'm not really that big in to video games.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I'm not too concerned, since I'm not really that big in to video games.

I'm not concerned either I just use it as an example of how people tolerate MS screw ups that would kill other businesses.