heard a rumor about a 20gb iphone in the works?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
so i heard by the holidays apple is releasing a 20gb iphone....im gonna be really pissed if that happens hahaha but it may just be a rumor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    20 seems like such and odd number
  • Reply 2 of 6
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    If anything 16GB will be the next bump, but Christmas might be a bit soon, especially with NAND supply looking constrained.

MacWorld 2008 may be too early too. If there's going to be a new model iPhone each year, like there (sort of) is for the iPod, then June 2008.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    As mrpiddly said, "20" is dead giveaway. iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and iPhone all include 1 or 2 NAND flash memory modules, and memory modules go in multiples of 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, etc. and never with mismatched pair.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

As mrpiddly said, "20" is dead giveaway. iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and iPhone all include 1 or 2 NAND flash memory modules, and memory modules go in multiples of 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, etc. and never with mismatched pair.

What about 4GB for the system and 16GB for data? It would be a good idea IMO to separate the two.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What about 4GB for the system and 16GB for data? It would be a good idea IMO to separate the two.

Pointless, since Apple spent a lot of time and money making a mobile version of OS X that is about 100 - 200 MB in size (I've never seen an exact figure)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Like I said, Apple's flash memory products do not include mismatched memory modules. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any other companies do, either. Perhaps it is the chipset limitation, perhaps doing so is more optimal, or perhaps it's just more cost effective that way... it just hasn't been done.

Come to think of it, all current Apple products (iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and iPhone) include single flash memory module so it won't work anyway (unless Apple decides to increase iPhone's footprint, which is extremely unlikely).