The Destiny of Telecoms

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
These days there are a dizzying amount of different mobile phone technologies on the market and the industry is constantly evolving. For example, Apple has just announced the release of the iPhone. Instead of using 3G or HDPS, the iPhone uses Wi-Fi and boasts touch screen and virtual keyboard inputs.

What will be the most promising technologies in the future? Will it be Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, WiMax or any new developments we?re not aware of yet? Are these technologies competing with each other or complementing each other?

It is widely accepted that 3G provides mobile operators with sufficient capabilities to support a greater number of voice and data customers. Operators are therefore able to offer unlimited voice access without saturating their bandwidth. So the obvious question is, if 3G has this astonishing advantage then why do all roads lead to 4G and WIMAX?

One of the biggest signs of this trend is that 3G roll-outs are progressing, and that WiMax is developing as a more advanced alternative to Wi-Fi. This, along with current ongoing research into the deployment of 4G technologies, addresses the future bandwidth demands of mobile telecoms customers.

What is more, there is a clear vision from BT projected the coming decades. In the UK, as an end-to-end Internet Protocol (IP)-based network, the 21CN programme will merge BT's 16 separate network platforms into one. It will replace the complex network and deliver the services faster, more efficiently and reduce cost significantly by 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    maddanmaddan Posts: 75member
    Here in the U.S. most mobile telecoms are trying to catch up with 2.5 and 3G. That trend will probably accellerate after a major portion of the AMPS network is shutdown next February. 2008 could either be a very interesting or very messy year for cell phones here.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Would this not be better under General Discussion, or even the iPhone forum?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    4g is really fast, but then, buy that time wifi will probably be even faster

Can someone tell me the next gen of wifi will be, i got mixed up in all the numbers like 802.11r, 802.11y, and 802.11m
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

4g is really fast, but then, buy that time wifi will probably be even faster

Can someone tell me the next gen of wifi will be, i got mixed up in all the numbers like 802.11r, 802.11y, and 802.11m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#...and_Amendments

That tries to explain them all, but I couldn't figure out what the next one would be from it, maybe someone who understands mumbo-jumbo (yes, it is a language) can figure it out.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I agree. There are like 5 - 6 threads that totally out place in here.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    potatopotato Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maddan View Post

Here in the U.S. most mobile telecoms are trying to catch up with 2.5 and 3G. That trend will probably accellerate after a major portion of the AMPS network is shutdown next February. 2008 could either be a very interesting or very messy year for cell phones here.

Japan has better usage of 3G services than others. Apparently, they have a good network capacity for the operators.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

You were right.

General Discussion sounds much appropriate - General tech discussion, including purchasing advice and industry trends.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    WiMax is coming...

In theory, WiMax can be used for internet communications, cell phone communications, television, etc.

Its going to be big...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

WiMax is coming...

In theory, WiMax can be used for internet communications, cell phone communications, television, etc.

Its going to be big...

WiMAX technology has its own Strengths and Weaknesses.

It has high throughput (expected to be 70 Mbps) and wireless access at broadband coverage (up to 48 km). But it is still in trial stages and requires high-cost Customer Premise Equipment (CPE). Plus, the transmission on multiple frequencies probably goes to add complexity to mobile handsets or maybe make them incompatible worldwide.

I have heard that cities aim for 24/7 public internet connectivity, and the technical/ correct term is called municipal wireless, which is different from Hotspot, and means local authority pay for it.

I am not sure if they are going to use Wi-Fi or WiMAX though. In theory, the promise of WiMAX seems much practical than Wi-Fi. The truth is that when it comes to IP, the choice is between having bandwidth or having long range, as they are mutually exclusive