Quad Core Macbook Pro (Penryn)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So, Intel have recently announced a quad core mobile processor based on Penryn.

Touted as being for gaming and workstation-class laptops. Here is how I see me using one.

Quad Core CPU

VMWare Fusion with guest Windows and Linux guest OS's

4GB of RAM - 2 GB for MacOSX and 1 GB each for the VMWare virtual machines

17" 1920x1600 screen using Spaces for each OS

Now for me, this would pretty much be hardware heaven.

thoughts ?

ofMars

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Apple might offer a quad-core as a CTO option in the next MacBook Pro update, but I seriously doubt it. I think the earliest we will see a quad-core option is when the MacBook Pro switches from Santa Rosa to Montevina, which will be in two updates. The MacBook Pro will move to all quad-core in three updates when the Nehalem processors are available. Here is Apple's roadmap:

Current: 65nm Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa, dual-core

1st update : 45nm Penryn, Santa Rosa, dual-core

2nd update: 45nm Penryn, Montevina, dual-core, quad-core

3rd update: 45nm Nehalem, Montevina, quad-core
  • Reply 2 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    When I can get a 3 ghz quad core MBP I'll upgrade. Until then I'm quite happy with my 2.16 ghz C2D MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

3rd update: 45nm Nehalem, Montevina, quad-core

now that would be cool. Is Nehalem where they go for 4 cores on the same die as opposed to C2D SantaRosa which is 2 separate dies in the same packaging ?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I could them them in the iMac, but they are going to be too hot for the Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ofMars View Post

now that would be cool. Is Nehalem where they go for 4 cores on the same die as opposed to C2D SantaRosa which is 2 separate dies in the same packaging ?

I think you are a little, confused. The current quad is using 2 dies, but 2 cores per die. The c2d also uses 2 cores per die.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ofMars View Post

If you are asking if each core will have its own direct connection to the chipset I will say yes for Nehalem since it is getting a new micro-architecture and one of the features is the ability to dynamically manage the cores. Go here to check out some information about Penryn and Nehalem.

As far as Penryns are concerned, I want to say "yes" to them having cores with dedicated connections, but it might be just the quad-core Zeons that will have them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

If you are asking if each core will have its own direct connection to the chipset I will say yes for Nehalem since it is getting a new micro-architecture and one of the features is the ability to dynamically manage the cores. Go here to check out some information about Penryn and Nehalem.

As far as Penryns are concerned, I want to say "yes" to them having cores with dedicated connections, but it might be just the quad-core Zeons that will have them.

no it may be a like amd setup all on one die with a HT link from the cpu to chipset.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Penryn will still be FSB based However, it will support up to 1600 MHz FSB (but obviously not in laptops). The size shrink just gets extra cache, it doesn't get you the "native" quads, I don't think. Intel may be sticking with dual-dual because of the cost savings.