last refuge for the ugly

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I had this fantasy that radio was one of the few mediums were looks were not crucial. Thanks to the internet, that may all be changing as the advent of podcasting and multimedia puts pressure on radio personalities to have websites and of course we want to see these personalities.

Will there be more Faith Salies in the future than Leonard Lopates?

PS I'm likely a year or so late with this observation. But I suspect it's impact hasn't been felt yet. Besides, stuff like this is really subtle. See http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/0...tty/index.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Confidence and knowledge are more important than looks. Eye candy can only go so far. Getting a job done and getting it done right is where profit / advancement / satisfaction are made. Everyone I know looks better when they are satisfied.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Some of the ... most average ... people are the most successful on TeeVee. Look at Oprah?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Howard Stern is pretty ugly. He doesn't even have a good voice. O'Reilly, Limbaugh, and the rest of the high-ratings pundits aren't stunners either. The reason why there aren't a lot of people like Leonard Lopates outside of NPR has nothing to do with his looks. Liberals don't listen to talk radio. I don't intend to sound demeaning -- it's just the reality of the market.

With that said, the only radio show I listen to regularly is Dennis Miller's, and I only know what he looks like through his previous TV shows. I have no idea what his associates look like, nor do I care. I think radio is safe from what has happened recently to TV news.