Does The New IPOD Nano Need A Case???

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am getting an 8 GB nano with my macbook this week, and my question to current users is...do you even need a case for it? i was thinking just getting a screen sticker to protect that, but it seems you dont really need a case. And of course the case eliminates the "nano" appeal. Thanks. P.S i know the new ipods are coming out, but if i can get a 8gb nano for 50 bucks why not? everything i need. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I use an iSkin silicon sleeve. Does the job really well and doesn't add a lot of bulk, 3 different sleeves and a plastic front shield in the pack.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    All I can say is I have an aluminuim iPod shuffle, I don't use a case and it has zero scratches on it. I wouldn't bother with a case if I was you, they look way better without. I would get a screen protector for the screen though. For the sake of 10 bucks your iPod nano will be 'completely' scratch-free. From experience I have found that invisible shield material is practically impervious to scratches.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alek_2alek_2 Posts: 21member
    Well - don't bother with the case; I have ~ 1,5 years worth of sctraches on the old nano and it still looks fine.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    after having my green 4gb nano for about half a year, i decided to get a case, because i drop it really often. (it's still fine, just one small dent in the top left corner.) I bought a DLO hard plastic case, put it on, and the entire area where the screen is was scratched.

Moral of the story: just leave your nano be, it'll be fine
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I used to use a case with my first generation nano...now I leave the case at home and carry the nano in my pocket. So far, there hasn't been a problem with scratches. I came to the realization that it wasn't really a big deal to a scratch or two.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I wouldn't waste my money for one...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    I have the 1G nano with no case. It isn't scratched at all and is quite old by now. The other day I got one of those stick-on clear protectors which seems to do the job too. I don't see the point of making a product that's designed to be small bigger.

The aluminum nano, if it's like the minis I've seen, is more or less indestructible.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Yes, please spend the extra money to get the cover (which costs about 2 cents or less to manufacture)... Apple needs your help right now.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    My guess

Shuffle: \tNo change in the case design, 1G will be $59 & 2G will be $79.

Nano: \tNo change in the case design, 4G will be $149 8G will be $199 (there may be a special edition 16G)

iPod: \tThis is the new case design (Photos leaked), the new iPod will be all flash based: 8 and 16 gigs in size and multi colors. 8G will be $249 16G will be $299

iPod

Wide Screen: A new form factor: look for aluminum, glass, black with touch interface (similer to iPhone).

-HD based: 80G & 120G

-OS will be OS X based.

-80G will be $349 & 120G $399

The question is would the iPod Wide Screen have Wi-Fi?

If it did come with Wi-Fi how much would it cut into iPhone sales?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I have an iSkin case for my Nano I really like, and I'm shocked at how scratched up it is, especially the screen cover. I'd hate to think what the Nano would look like without a protective case. (Note: I put the Nano in my front pocket with my keys.)