Help-Iphone or 6G Ipod/Ipod Touch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My birthday was last week and my fiancee got me a nice gift certificate to the Apple Store. She knew I wasn't completely sold on the Iphone. I am very torn on just going ahead and buying an Iphone or waiting for the next Ipod. I currently have a 8GB Nano that holds all of my music (my music collection is only about 6 GB) and a shuffle that I use for running.

Iphone pros for me that I wouldn't get from 6G Ipod: I only use my cell phone for about 50-60 minutes a week, but it would get rid of the extra bulk. I don't have a digital camera (though when I did I hardly used it).

Iphone cons that make me hesitate: Won't automatically work with my nice headphones, storage capacity (holds all my music now but what about 2 years down the road?). What about video? How much space does video take up?

The thing that excites me about the 6G Ipod would be its capacity for videos if it was a full screen and touch screen Ipod. It the screen wasn't as big as the Iphone's screen I think I would be disappointed and would probably end up going with an Iphone.

What is killing me is that I don't know when or even if the product that I want is ever going to come out. Does it make sense to just get the Iphone now (a prodcut that I would be really happy with, but has some things that I don't necessarily like?)

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If you can wait a month or two until the next iPod (probably) comes out, I'd do that, then at least you'd know what was available.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cwh812cwh812 Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

If you can wait a month or two until the next iPod (probably) comes out, I'd do that, then at least you'd know what was available.

Yes, I know. I am the most impatient person though.

Another thing that is bothering me though is if the new True Video Ipod is going to be so great why don't they announce it months before its release like they did the Iphone? What warranted the Iphone and Apple TV being announced months before their release, but no other products?

I'm not sure why Apple operates the way they do, but announcing new products before they are available actually builds excitement (like the Iphone).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm standing buy waiting for the iPod G6 will I'm 95% sure will be an iPhone without phone and internet feature. I suspect $299 for 40GB and $399 for 80GB.

Other than that I don't really know how to help you. Do you want an all-in-one product,a high capacity DAP........................or do you simply want the latest portable device from Apple?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

I'm standing buy waiting for the iPod G6 will I'm 95% sure will be an iPhone without phone and internet feature. I suspect $299 for 40GB and $399 for 80GB.

Other than that I don't really know how to help you. Do you want an all-in-one product,a high capacity DAP........................or do you simply want the latest portable device from Apple?

If the 6G was in fact an Iphone without the phone, internet, camera, etc... and it came in at 40GB for under $400 I would jump all over it. However, without a confirmation of what it is or when it is coming out I'm tempted to go with the Iphone.

There is a strong indication that the 6G Ipod should be out in the next 2 months, however, you can't wait forever for the perfect product that you want. If there was some indication that the 6G was definitely going to be a phoneless Ipod I think I could wait, but there are those out there that say that they expect the clickwheel to stay.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

My birthday was last week and my fiancee got me a nice gift certificate to the Apple Store. She knew I wasn't completely sold on the Iphone. I am very torn on just going ahead and buying an Iphone or waiting for the next Ipod. I currently have a 8GB Nano that holds all of my music (my music collection is only about 6 GB) and a shuffle that I use for running.

Iphone pros for me that I wouldn't get from 6G Ipod: I only use my cell phone for about 50-60 minutes a week, but it would get rid of the extra bulk. I don't have a digital camera (though when I did I hardly used it).

Iphone cons that make me hesitate: Won't automatically work with my nice headphones, storage capacity (holds all my music now but what about 2 years down the road?). What about video? How much space does video take up?

The thing that excites me about the 6G Ipod would be its capacity for videos if it was a full screen and touch screen Ipod. It the screen wasn't as big as the Iphone's screen I think I would be disappointed and would probably end up going with an Iphone.

What is killing me is that I don't know when or even if the product that I want is ever going to come out. Does it make sense to just get the Iphone now (a prodcut that I would be really happy with, but has some things that I don't necessarily like?)

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Do you not read the forum rules. Start posting in the correct forums please.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

If the 6G was in fact an Iphone without the phone, internet, camera, etc... and it came in at 40GB for under $400 I would jump all over it. However, without a confirmation of what it is or when it is coming out I'm tempted to go with the Iphone.

There is a strong indication that the 6G Ipod should be out in the next 2 months, however, you can't wait forever for the perfect product that you want. If there was some indication that the 6G was definitely going to be a phoneless Ipod I think I could wait, but there are those out there that say that they expect the clickwheel to stay.

Most sites say that the iPod will be updated next month so you can always hold on until september if you want to know for sure. At the end of the day this is a question about storage. If you really really need 40GB of space you will wait just like I'm doing. If you don't need that much storage your heart will in the coming weeks or even days guide you to your near buy Apple store to make you pick up an iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I have 5 gigs of music and 4 full length movies at about 600 meg each. This iphone is a great device replacing phone, ipod and camera. Don't wait for ipod, it may be flash mem maxing out at 16 gigs for first run. You won't be dissapointed with the iphone.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Don't wait for ipod, it may be flash mem maxing out at 16 gigs for first run.

It won't. When apple make a switch to Flash memory for the big iPod they will offer no less than 32/64GB. That will most likely not happen until next year. The Nano on the other hand is the iPod to get it's capacity bumped up to 16GB.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Do you not read the forum rules. Start posting in the correct forums please.

Sorry, I'm new. Won't happen again. Thank you to everyone who responded. Though still torn I think I'm going to pick up an Iphone. Worst case I'll keep my Nano for music and use my Iphone for videos, but I think the storage can handle a good amount of both.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I love my iPhone. Incredibly fabulous! A new 6G iPod could have a screen like the iPhone and also the Internet access but may not have the camera, which I love using. There's no way to know if the 6G iPod will have HD capacity. Hope it does but fear it won't.

As for movies, just put on the ones you want. You don't have to try putting everything on an iPhone, just some of the stuff you want and then change the content later. You can choose what gets synced.

New iPods could be announced in September and/or October.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I would wait to see what the iphone is gona bring