Viewing PDFs without downloading.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've tried to figure this out for a while, but now I am just giving up and asking for help. How do I view a .pdf in Firefox without downloading it? When I used windows, it did it automatically, but now I can't figure out how to do it in OS X.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,785member
    Use Safari. You are downloading it by the way, you just aren't keeping the file.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Use Safari. You are downloading it by the way, you just aren't keeping the file.



    That wasn't my question. I want to be able to view PDFs in Firefox, while safari can go to Omicron Persei 8 for all I care. (Futurama reference)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    That wasn't my question. I want to be able to view PDFs in Firefox, while safari can go to Omicron Persei 8 for all I care. (Futurama reference)



    Ireland is correct. You cannot view a file, PDF or anything else, without downloading it. The QuickTime plug-in is the default for viewing PDF files in Mac web browsers. On my machine, Safari picks-up the Adobe Acrobat plug-in just fine, but Firefox ignores it. Firefox uses the QuickTime plug-in.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Ireland is correct. You cannot view a file, PDF or anything else, without downloading it. The QuickTime plug-in is the default for viewing PDF files in Mac web browsers. On my machine, Safari picks-up the Adobe Acrobat plug-in just fine, but Firefox ignores it. Firefox uses the QuickTime plug-in.



    Ok, I realize that it will download anyways, but what I meant by 'download' was when I open a pdf, it gives me the 'what would you like to do with this file' window, but what I want it to do is just open the pdf file in Firefox instead of me having to manually download and then open it. So, how do I get Firefox to use the Adobe plugin, or how do I get the QuickTime plugin to do the same thing?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    ... So, how do I get Firefox to use the Adobe plugin, or how do I get the QuickTime plugin to do the same thing?



    Make sure that Images - Still image files is checked in your QuickTime Preferences > Advanced > MIME settings....
Sign In or Register to comment.