Mac Pro with 2x X1900XT

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am going to buy a new mac pro, i have 3 monitors and i want to use them with my new mac, can i buy a mac with a x1900xt and a GF7300GT?

since i think that 2xGF7300GT have poor performance, and with the ati i can only connect two monitor, with that config my problem would be solved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    As far as I'm aware, you can't mix and match nvidia and ati cards in the same machine. It was mentioned in Macintouch's review when the Mac Pros first hit.

Quote:

For reasons Apple hasn't explained, you can't mix-and-match ATI and nVidia cards in the Mac Pro. We haven't yet tried installing both kinds to see if they'll make the magic smoke escape.

I have a home config with one 7300gt for a two monitor setup and one at work with two 7300gt cards for a 3 monitor setup... since I don't do any heavy lifting in 3D apps or game much, it doesn't affect my experience in any notable way.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Interesting. Looks like two 7300GTs or two X1900XTs are the way to go...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netbanshee View Post

As far as I'm aware, you can't mix and match nvidia and ati cards in the same machine. It was mentioned in Macintouch's review when the Mac Pros first hit.

I wonder if that's been fixed though, because the review is a year old now. I thought that older Macs could operate more than one brand of video chip, so that would be an unfortunate additional restriction. If I had a way to borrow an example of the Apple nVidia card, I'd test it out.