Final Cut Express on Mac Mini

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So iMovie 08 was so shocking that I figured, what the hell, I'll go out and get me some Final Cut Express HD.

Now, I go home and install the thing.

And when I try to run it, it says that I'm missing an AGP Card, which is required for Final Cut Express HD 3.5 to run.

Now, I did mention to the guy at the store that I have a mac mini. I don't know what interface it uses for the video card, but... either way, thing's not running.

Is it not supposed to run on a mini, or am I messed up somehow?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    From Apple, these are the System Requirements for FCE:

* Macintosh computer with 500MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 (550MHz for PowerBook G4) or Intel Core Duo

* 512MB RAM

* Display with 1024-by-768 (or higher) resolution

* An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in MacBook or Mac mini

* Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later

* QuickTime 7.0.4 or later

* HDV features require 1GHz or faster processor and 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)

* 500MB disk space required for applications; additional 16GB of additional storage space for Soundtrack and LiveType content (can be installed on separate disks)

* DVD drive for software installation
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [QUOTE=houseley;1129159]From Apple, these are the System Requirements for FCE:

* An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in MacBook or Mac mini/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did see that just now. And I have an Intel GMA Integrated thinggie in my mini! and it even says Quartz Extreme is supported.... so why does FCE die on my saying I need an AGP card?...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    FCP has a config file which has requirements embedded in it. If your spec doesn't match what is in the file, it won't run even if it is capable of it. Right-click the Final Cut app and show package contents, I can't remember the exact file but it's a .plist. Inside, it has a list of requirements and you can change them, save the file and launch again.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

FCP has a config file which has requirements embedded in it.

Cool. I found it and yay it runs now. Well. It crashes as soon as it's done loading but hey, progress!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jethro1138 View Post

Cool. I found it and yay it runs now. Well. It crashes as soon as it's done loading but hey, progress!

How much Ram do you have? I tried Final Cut Studio 6 on a machine with 512MB and it closed after launch. Upgrading to 1GB sorted this - I thought it was a bit odd but it must do some check after it's loaded.

Does it crash or just close down i.e do you get an unexpectedly quit dialog? If it's a quit dialog, what does the report say?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

How much Ram do you have? I tried Final Cut Studio 6 on a machine with 512MB and it closed after launch. Upgrading to 1GB sorted this - I thought it was a bit odd but it must do some check after it's loaded.

Does it crash or just close down i.e do you get an unexpectedly quit dialog? If it's a quit dialog, what does the report say?

I've got 1.25 gigs of RAM. It doesn't /crash/ crash. It closes and brings up a dialog saying it had to close, and would I like to retry. No reason, no explanation, nothing.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Check in your console.app to see if there are any entries made - this is in /Applications/utilities/.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Check in your console.app to see if there are any entries made - this is in /Applications/utilities/.

Good idea. I did that and it just says that it crashed and tells me where the log is.

I looked in the log and it says:

Code:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000006

Which I've googled, and people have said is linked to other programs which I don't have, or bad hardware... which I assume I don't have. I've run diagnostics and everything seems fine.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

I looked in the log and it says:

Code:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000006

Is that all it says and does it just generate just those two lines for every crash? Usually there is a thread 0 crashed bit just after that. Post the whole thing if you can.

Quote:

Which I've googled, and people have said is linked to other programs which I don't have, or bad hardware... which I assume I don't have. I've run diagnostics and everything seems fine.

How did you edit the .plist btw and what change did you make?