rewited com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I've suddenly rewrited com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily with blanks and now every boot of Mac OS 10.4.10 hangs for a while, please could anybody provide me contents or file of com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily? I need it for my special serial device (thermometer) and also for faster booting.

Anybody please, please help!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    If you move the file out of the folder, doesn't it automatically get replaced with a default file? I assume it's a preference file - I don't have it on my computer.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    If you move the file out of the folder, doesn't it automatically get replaced with a default file? I assume it's a preference file - I don't have it on my computer.



    I've tried it :-( wihtout success.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peterbiely View Post


    I've tried it :-( wihtout success.



    Maybe try flushing out your kernel caches - I think this happens when you do a safe boot (hold shift at startup). Reboot after you've been in safe boot. You can manually remove the caches with the help of apps like cocktail or Onyx ( http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/eng...nyx_tiger.html ). If you do it manually, reboot just after doing so for it to rebuild these caches.



    What thermometer device do you have? Also, where in the filesystem is the com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily file?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Maybe try flushing out your kernel caches - I think this happens when you do a safe boot (hold shift at startup). Reboot after you've been in safe boot. You can manually remove the caches with the help of apps like cocktail or Onyx ( http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/eng...nyx_tiger.html ). If you do it manually, reboot just after doing so for it to rebuild these caches.



    What thermometer device do you have? Also, where in the filesystem is the com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily file?



    It should be placed in /Library/Preferences.

    It's my own home made thermometer - using chip DS75 - and also I have my own Java application for reading temperature values. I'm getting worry, that I'll have to reinstall my mac :-(
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't find any such file on Tiger or Leopard.



    There is a kernel extension, of course, /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    I don't find any such file on Tiger or Leopard.



    There is a kernel extension, of course, /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext



    If you couldn't find this file there, so maybe it shouldn't be there :-) Becuase I found in

    /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext link to com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily and I wanted to type its content (as admin via sudo -s) via command cat, but I don't know from where I put also there sign ">" so i ran command cat > /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily and that only created mentioned file and then caused all troubles (this is why I've erased it with blanks). I'll try to simply erase it... But now I can't, I'm at work...

    Thanks for idea...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peterbiely View Post


    If you couldn't find this file there, so maybe it shouldn't be there :-) Becuase I found in

    /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext link to com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily and I wanted to type its content (as admin via sudo -s) via command cat, but I don't know from where I put also there sign ">" so i ran command cat > /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily and that only created mentioned file and then caused all troubles (this is why I've erased it with blanks). I'll try to simply erase it... But now I can't, I'm at work...

    Thanks for idea...



    It partialy work's! I've erased empty file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily and boot proces dramatically boosted, but serial port still not working :-(
Sign In or Register to comment.