Airport Extreme 802.11N WAN-LAN throughput

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

I have a 100mbit connection to the Internet, and some servers and some laptops. Currently, I have two WRT54GS, one AP (connected to the Internet via Ethernet) and one in Client Mode (connected to the AP via 802.11G, and to my servers via Ethernet). This setup gives me about 15mbit of real-life throughput.

Needless to say, 15mbit is pretty crap when I could get 100mbit if I just had better hardware. Finding a wireless router that is BOTH fast AND capable of running in Client Mode is quite hard. Client Mode is usually not available in stock firmwares, which means you have to find a router that can run custom firmware. But I digress.

So: what is the real-life WAN-LAN (aka NAT) throughput of the Airport Extreme 802.11N? It is a gigabit router, and it does support draft-N, so ideally, it should be very fast. But I've seen some VERY discouraging numbers - 40mbit in one review. I can imagine that it switches at gigabit speeds, but the only thing that's interesting is the speed from the Internet to my computers.

I've read the excellent review of the Airport Extreme 802.11N here in the forums, but this tiny detail of information is absolutely crucial to me.