Microsoft Access for Apple?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know about a data base program for Apple which will allow Microsoft users to switch to Apple seamlessly. How do you convert from Access to Apple?

Help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Nope. Access is built on M$ Visual Basic (or, so I hear). For that reason, it'll never be Mac Native. I've used Access at work for 5 years, I've never found a way to transfer everything to a Mac app (forms, repoorts, modules, etc.).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>Nope. Access is built on M$ Visual Basic (or, so I hear). For that reason, it'll never be Mac Native. I've used Access at work for 5 years, I've never found a way to transfer everything to a Mac app (forms, repoorts, modules, etc.).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Access is a windows-only program. It is written in C++ like most other windows apps. But it has VBA (that is essentially 75% of full blown Visual Basic) tacked on for scripting, interface, or any program customization. Office also has this facility. Other third-party apps also have this ability (Autocad comes to mind). many other third party apps leave their API's open so you can easily customize the program, or remote control it using VB/C++ or any language that can reference dlls.

Back on topic, I dont know of any mac database that stands in a similar position OR is compatible with access.

I guess I'll have to keep working on my MySQL interface project

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: I-bent-my-wookie ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>Nope. Access is built on M$ Visual Basic (or, so I hear). For that reason, it'll never be Mac Native. I've used Access at work for 5 years, I've never found a way to transfer everything to a Mac app (forms, repoorts, modules, etc.).</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Don't worry, soon it will run faster in VPC and only VPC, just like all of Office. Though I might not call it VPC when they're through, if they do it, expect it to be fast and based on something not-quite-like-emulation. The future Office productivity is platform agnostic even for M$ (though they'd like different)