Final Cut Express Future

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea when FCE will be updated?

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think they're replacing it with imovie '08.

Nah, I'm kidding. I don't know why it's taking so long for them to update that, FCS was updated ages ago.

Does it need updated though? Is there a particular feature you are waiting for or is it just a case of you don't want to buy it now if an update is just round the corner?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ranumranum Posts: 43member
    I have a copy of FCE HD that is waiting to be installed on a new iMac as soon as I get it. The interface, however, looks long in the tooth. I'd like to see Apple give it more of an iMovie '08 style (without stripping out functionality) and give it .MOD file support, like iMovie '08 now has. (I'm surprised that Apple didn't give the Final Cut Studio interface more of an update when they refreshed earlier this year.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    after Apple's decision, to make iMovie a 'consumer's toy', ...

'The consumer video-editing industry is dying,' says Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of applications and product marketing.

... I'm pretty sure, FCE as 'the moviemaker's choice' has to be updated very soon..

FCE is the only Apple edit app which does NOT support RAD-devices, AVCHD etc ... -

and, after stripping down iDVD (chapter markers only in fixed 'jumps'), I guess, we'll see a FinalCut Suite-Express ... (e.g. DVDSPxPress)

my hopes are, we'll see a 'switchable' User Interface, allowing to use best-of-both-worlds, skimming AND a timeline view..

.. mostly is related to 10.5. features, I assume, so.. wait 'il then ..
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    FCE is in need of an update soon. Killing iMovie 06 may herald a new market for such. I'd have to agree with k_munic that an Express Suite (importing/editing/burning) all-in-one package would be the way to go. The only reservation I would have is possibly a higher price compared to iLife or current FCE.

As for AVCHD support, a workaround is available. THIS article explains. Here is the lowdown...

"Apple iMovie '08

The good news for Mac fans: You can finally edit footage from your AVCHD camcorders.

The bad news: You have to use iMovie '08. I have a work-around for you, but more on that in a minute.

The old iMovie has been rejiggered from an amazingly powerful video-editing program to a dramatically scaled back tool aimed at folks who think video editing is too hard. I loved the old iMovie, and find the new version so dumbed down I'll refrain from editing with it again.

My tip: Use the old iMovie instead. Here's how:

Sensing that old-line iMovie fans might not be happy with the radical overhaul of iMovie, Apple leaves the old iMovie on your computer even after you install the new version. (Look for it in the Applications folder.)

You'll have to use iMovie '08 to transfer clips, by connecting the camcorder to the computer. Then close '08, and open classic iMovie. Click IMPORT to bring in the clips (from the "iMovie Events" folder) and add them to your timeline.

This is also an option for folks using Final Cut Express, Apple's consumer priced ($299) version of the $1,200 Final Cut Pro 6, which doesn't support AVCHD. That is, unless you use this work-around."

Finally, the aforementioned article includes that quote from Schoeben.

Quote: "The consumer video-editing industry is dying," says Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of applications and product marketing. "It got crushed by digital photography."

Most camcorder owners never bother with video editing. Yet they will use software programs such as Apple's iPhoto to manage their pictures and growing collection of video clips from still cameras, Schoeben says. Apple was forced to do a "radical reinvention" of iMovie to get its users to work with their video clips, he says
    ."

My arse!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

Most camcorder owners never bother with video editing. Yet they will use software programs such as Apple's iPhoto to manage their pictures and growing collection of video clips from still cameras, Schoeben says. Apple was forced to do a "radical reinvention" of iMovie to get its users to work with their video clips, he says[/COLOR]."

No, that is absolutely true. Everyone I know with a digital camera (most people) will do minor adjustments to colour, cropping etc. Hardly anyone I know edits video. I do (even though I don't have my own camcorder), and so does my father-in-law. He uses Adobe Premiere Elements on the PC, but there is nothing he does which could not be done quicker and easier in iMovie 08 (except chapter markers)). He absolutely loved the skimming feature. That, by itself, could be enough for him to get a Mac.

iMovie should be the app which encourages people to play around with editing their video. Almost no-one experimented with iMovie 06 or earlier. Sure, once you learnt how to use it it was great, but it was also intimidating for new users. It was even intimidating for me because I figured if I was going to go to the trouble of setting up to use iMovie, I may as well use FCP and have complete control.