Converting Real files to MP3

steste
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just found approximately 60 .ra and .rm files from seven or eight years ago that I thought lost forever. This is great music that I'm looking forward to enjoying again.

Back in the day I was a PC user and used Streambox Ripper to convert the Real files to .wav format before burning to CD. But that was then. Now I'm a confirmed Mac user looking for a simple -- and preferably cheap or free -- way to convert these files to MP3 so that I can import them into iTunes, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This seems a bit involved but the posts may help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50130184054216

I'd say ffmpegx ( http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ ) is probably the best solution but it can be a pain to get it working.

If you don't mind waiting, there are programs like Audio hijack which basically record the audio while it plays internally. It would take at least as long as all the tracks to convert them this way.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    you could try ImTOO Audio Converter. It's just a piece of cake to convert files to mp3.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeletux View Post

you could try ImTOO Audio Converter. It's just a piece of cake to convert files to mp3.

Isn't that application Windows only?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    steste Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This seems a bit involved but the posts may help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50130184054216

I'd say ffmpegx ( http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ ) is probably the best solution but it can be a pain to get it working.

If you don't mind waiting, there are programs like Audio hijack which basically record the audio while it plays internally. It would take at least as long as all the tracks to convert them this way.

Thanks, Marvin.

I Googled the macosxhints.com link myself before posting here, but, as you say, it seems a bit involved.

ffmpegx looks promising. What exactly is the problem with this one? Is it just certain machines, or is it a matter of software stability? (If it helps any, I drive a 15.4" MBP, C2D, 2.33Ghz, 2GB RAM.)

If needs must, I'll look into doing the job the long way. I was even considering routing the audio through Soundflower into Garageband. Would this work?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    steste Posts: 119member
    I downloaded ffmpegx tonight. Not the easiest download, to be sure. And while the interface is good, the program has its quirks. But it works!

Big up to Marvin for the pointer.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

I just found approximately 60 .ra and .rm files from seven or eight years ago that I thought lost forever. This is great music that I'm looking forward to enjoying again.

Back in the day I was a PC user and used Streambox Ripper to convert the Real files to .wav format before burning to CD. But that was then. Now I'm a confirmed Mac user looking for a simple -- and preferably cheap or free -- way to convert these files to MP3 so that I can import them into iTunes, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

If you have Toast 8, try setting the CD/DVD format to Audio CD and then drag in your Real files.

If it accepts the format, down the bottom of the window is an Export button. You will be asked what format you wish to save to and the settings. To not totally ruin your files pick a same bitrate file in whatever format you choose. I suspect Real went to AAC some time ago so that could be a good choice.

Be prepared for some loss of quality. There will probably be some artifacts depending on your original, typically sibilance or a metallic reverb. This is inevitable when converting audio formats.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Isn't that application Windows only?

The ImTOO Audio Converter also has a Mac Version