3 Kernel panics in a month on new 2.16 MBP. Normal or cause for concern?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just curious if other MBP owners are getting random KP's? I've had 3 in a month and don't know if it's normal or not. As a point of reference, I've had a 450MHz sawtooth for about 3 years and I think I only had 2 KP's in that time.

Thanks to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Not normal. Please check your RAM - install one stick of RAM at a time and see how it goes. Service call time. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not normal. Please check your RAM - install one stick of RAM at a time and see how it goes. Service call time. Good luck.

I get at least one a day. I can make it happen when ever I want. I do it a lot when I first turn on my computer, I turn on my audio interface, and start iTunes and my Mac Pro hates it. I have found an other problem with Joost and my audio interface. If my interface is off, and i start Joost (without knowing the interface was off), when I turn it on, it will crash. I can make this one happen as well. I have one problem with my Final Scratch too. When I close Traktor and immediately unplug the fire wire device, my computer panics. Those are the three that I have, that happen quite often, and I can make them happen on command. I don't know what to do about them though. Any chance of them getting fixed or should I just try to avoid them being that I know what causes them?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You guys have got a problem. I've had my MBP for nearly a year and I've never had a kernel panic. I didn't know what one looked like until someone posted a pic of one on another thread.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    You may have to reinstall the Mac OS....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Switching audio drivers will cause any computer a little trouble if it's done by turning the device on. If you go through your audio settings it's not a problem, but if the audio driver is in use and you attempt to switch it, it will crash. All of my crashes are audio related, if they were more wide spread I would make a big deal out of them. I would assume the problems are fixable, but are they really that big of a deal. I will admit, when I working in Photoshop or any other graphic program and I forget to turn my AI on, and just start hittin switches and opening iTunes it sux. I lose everything past the last auto-save, but it's mostly me being stupid.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    If you get the kernel panic after a specific action (plugging/unplugging hardware or after installing specific driver/software), and this is reproducible - report it to Apple and look for a workaround. It could be a software bug from Apple or the hardware/software vendor. Otherwise - check the RAM.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I've been doing some digging on this and there are quite a few other MBP owners that are having KP's on Apple's forums. There is one really long forum there on this and it looks like the KP's are related to Airport/wireless. Apple came out with an airport update and this seems like it fixed the problem for most of those people. I updated my MBP last night. I hope this ends the KP's.