DVD Burning

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know how to use 42 and DiskCopy to burn a dual layered disc onto a regulare DVDR. I ran 42 and got :

1-WAKINGLIFE.mpg 1.15GB

WAKINGLIFE.iso 1.15GB

Then I thought I ran disk copy, but the DVDR never had anything burned onto it and the result was

WakingLife.dmg 2.23GB

I was wondering what I did wrong and how I could fix it to burn a DVD, which I own btw.

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bump please, I just got a Powerbook, my first mac.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuzzardsBay:

<strong>Does anyone know how to use 42 and DiskCopy to burn a dual layered disc onto a regulare DVDR. I ran 42 and got :

1-WAKINGLIFE.mpg 1.15GB

WAKINGLIFE.iso 1.15GB

Then I thought I ran disk copy, but the DVDR never had anything burned onto it and the result was

WakingLife.dmg 2.23GB

I was wondering what I did wrong and how I could fix it to burn a DVD, which I own btw.

Thanks,

Dan</strong><hr></blockquote>

First off you need to re-encode the video from the dvd. You want the .iso file to be around 4.3 gigs to still have maximum quality. To tell how to do this you need to use the custom settings and get a bitrate calculator like Mr.Bitbudget or use <a href="http://www.dvdrhelp.com/calc.htm"; target="_blank">This online java one</a>. Set the vbr to 4 or at maximum (if you are a quality psycho) to 3 then set the audio to 224 since you are using AC3 and it gives you a bitrate. Use this bitrate (subtract a little off of it to allow some room for error) in 42 and start the long encoding process. The output file will be an .iso hopefully close to 4 gigs. Open Apple's DiskCopy and hit command-b, chose the .iso file and pop in a DVD-r and off you go. If this doesnt work let me know as I will be able to offer more help when I get my new tower on Monday. In addition try <a href="http://www.dvdrhelp.com"; target="_blank">www.dvdrhelp.com</a> they have a mac video forum section which can be very helpful in your quest for information...

A@ron
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks for all the great info.

One more question, when I calculated the bitrate there was one calculated bitrate of : 5858 kbit/s

There was also a max DVD bitrate of : 9346 kbit/s

I was trying to use a DVD so for my custom bitrate would I use the second one.

Thanks,

Dan
  • Reply 4 of 5
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuzzardsBay:

<strong>Thanks for all the great info.

One more question, when I calculated the bitrate there was one calculated bitrate of : 5858 kbit/s

There was also a max DVD bitrate of : 9346 kbit/s

I was trying to use a DVD so for my custom bitrate would I use the second one.

Thanks,

Dan</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, you would use the calculated bitrate, the maximum bitrate is the max at which a mpeg-2 (dvd video) can be encoded in and still be standard. If you used the 9346 kbit/s number your file would not fit onto that 4.3 gig DVDr and would be about 6 gigs Hope this continues to help you.

A@ron
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks, it made all the difference.

Cheers,

Dan