A computer for a novice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A friend would like to get a computer to use for a word processor and for e-mail and maybe to surf the net.

Since my friend doesn't want to spend a lot on a computer as her needs are minimal, I thought of a cheap PC.

I'd love to suggest a Mac, but the cheapest one, the Mini, is still more than she wants to spend.

I turned my back on PC's 5 years ago and don't keep up on them; therefore, I can't really pick one out for her.

I might add that her only use of a computer to date is to enter grades in the school (computer) where she teaches. She likes that it saves her time and effort, but she's still a bit scared of computers. I'm going to suggest to her that she bypass MS (which she's heard of) and use NeoOffice, Gmail office, or ... Of course, she could use WordPad or TextEdit. I'm mentioning this because you guys may have other suggestions.

Opinions?

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

A friend would like to get a computer to use for a word processor and for e-mail and maybe to surf the net.

Since my friend doesn't want to spend a lot on a computer as her needs are minimal, I thought of a cheap PC.

I'd love to suggest a Mac, but the cheapest one, the Mini, is still more than she wants to spend.

I turned my back on PC's 5 years ago and don't keep up on them; therefore, I can't really pick one out for her.

I might add that her only use of a computer to date is to enter grades in the school (computer) where she teaches. She likes that it saves her time and effort, but she's still a bit scared of computers. I'm going to suggest to her that she bypass MS (which she's heard of) and use NeoOffice, Gmail office, or ... Of course, she could use WordPad or TextEdit. I'm mentioning this because you guys may have other suggestions.

Opinions?

Thanx

A refurb Mac. If she buys a cheap pc it'll be nothing but problems. How's that cheaper? A refurb mini would be pretty cost competitive and so would a refurb iMac. Not only that but you'll be able to help her if she needs it. Who's gonna help her with the inevitable problems that arise with pcs?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

A refurb Mac. If she buys a cheap pc it'll be nothing but problems. How's that cheaper? A refurb mini would be pretty cost competitive and so would a refurb iMac. Not only that but you'll be able to help her if she needs it. Who's gonna help her with the inevitable problems that arise with pcs?

Good points. Especially since I don't have to tweak the PC's at work. The Campus Network Services takes care of the glitches and deadly blue screens. I used to spend so much time tweaking that I could remember how to resolve stuff. NOW - In the years I've been using the Mac, I seem to have lost a lot of PC expertise. That's a little embarrassing.

Where's the best place to look for refurbed Macs?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Where's the best place to look for refurbed Macs?

Not the Apple refurb store if it's for a cheap machine. Apple seem to have a lower limit and their rufurb Minis are generally the same price as or sometimes strangely much more than the new ones.

Right now for example, there is a refurb 1.83GHz Core Duo (the old model) sitting at £499:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...LID?nplm=FA723

when the brand new Core 2 Duo 1.83 is just £399. The refurb does have a DVD burner but that doesn't justify being £100 more than a new model.

If you're after a cheap Mac, I'd say don't be afraid to look on ebay. I've bought some good old G4 computers at a good price. You just have to check the seller's reputation. I just saw the old 1.25GHz G4 on there for £175 buy it now offer - only 256MB Ram but that's about £25 from crucial.

My dad has one of them and it's a good machine for general work.

I'd say that being able to run Windows is a good thing to have as a backup though and I saw a 1.66 Core Duo for £250 on ebay again. It's always the case where the price quickly creeps up but you still have to be mindful of when you are getting a huge deal more functionality for so little extra even if you don't necessarily need the functionality.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Hey, try this

VERY CHEAP

AIO (if newbie and afraid of comps, is good)

Can probably install another 512-1GB of ram for under $50 for her to give it a needed boost.

Apple is apparently out of refurb-ed minis on their site, but they may have more eventually... (they are $429 and you would need to get her a monitor)

Also, since she's a teacher, she would get an edu discount if she bought a new one, I would look up the price but I have to be somewhere in 10 minutes, and I'm sure you can figure it out.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Agree with Marvin. Ebay will be best bet. There are soem good looking deals on minis there some come with windows already installed via bootcamp. It sounds like an inexpensive mini would work out great for her. That or the old 17" iMac. You'll just need to check out ebay and see what's available.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Thanks guys. I was just thinking about how much money, time, and effort I've saved by being a member of AI.

Incalculable, but very much appreciated. Another factor: I have come into contact with some very intelligent, knowledgeable, technically savvy, helpful people whom I would never have come across in my every day life. Some have been sarcastic at times and unforgiving, but still, at the end of the day, I've actually enjoyed the give and take. AI is a treasure trove from John Lundy down to the guys just joining. Thanks for being there for us technically challenged.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Sequitur

Just visited the Aple store and looked the refurbs. They now have 17" iMaxs available. One with 512 of RAM and Intel GMA for $699 and one with 1 gb GAM and x1600 gpu for $849. Both are pretty good deals if you ask me. FWIW.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Sequitur

Just visited the Aple store and looked the refurbs. They now have 17" iMaxs available. One with 512 of RAM and Intel GMA for $699 and one with 1 gb GAM and x1600 gpu for $849. Both are pretty good deals if you ask me. FWIW.

I just visited the site and found the computers you referred to. I sent the info and URL's to my friends daughter to show her mother. The daughter wants no part in the decision making. Probably a good thing because she uses a Dell.

Thanx for going to the trouble of looking those up for me.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    If Apple had bothered to replace the Low end iMac/ eMac with something, this wouldn't be a very hard question.