Photoshop CS3 file problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am experiencing a weird problem with one particular customer's files. They have supplied a large(>1gb) .psd file to me on a DVD. When I put the disc in my MacBookPro the file shows up as a .psd but only 14kb. Photoshop will not open the file and thinks it's broken. If I take the same disc to a PC it sees the >1gb file which I can then move to my Mac and open with Photoshop. I can even launch Parallels(windows XPpro) on my MBP insert the disc and copy from the PC desktop to the Mac desktop and the file works fine. It just will not work properly when I insert the disc and open on my Mac. This has happened twice now with two different files one file was 1.4gb and one file was 924mb. Do any of you folks have any advice? I am stumped.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Looks like you'll have to keep using your workaround until it's addressed by Adobe. Another reason why I'm sticking with CS1 for now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It looks like it could be a disc format issue. If you select the disc and open the get info window, what format does it say the disc is? PC formats can act funny on the Mac side as you get options to leave discs open and things so that you can burn extra files. I've actually seen someone insert a PC floppy disc into a Mac running OS 9 and it just broke the system, it froze and then wouldn't boot up again. OS X is better but there are still formats it doesn't like. Tiger still doesn't support UDF 1.5 format properly for example, which has been supported in Windows for years - it's coming in Leopard though. On the Mac side, you can't even copy certain files off the discs as it will just give an error. In Windows it works fine and as I say in Leopard too. Hopefully the new filesystem tools that have been ported to the Mac will help filesystem support. All I can suggest is that you make sure the client burns in a format like ISO9660 and makes sure the disc is closed.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If I do a Get Info on the disc it says that the format is "ISO 9660 File System (Joliet)". The get info also indicates 925.4 MB used on disk. But finder only shows one file on the disc and that file is only 14.1mb.

Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chilleymac View Post

If I do a Get Info on the disc it says that the format is "ISO 9660 File System (Joliet)". The get info also indicates 925.4 MB used on disk. But finder only shows one file on the disc and that file is only 14.1mb.

Thanks for the help.

Joliet is an extension (or set of extensions) to ISO 9660 and it can cause issues on OS X:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...04041301593855

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darw.../msg00072.html

I'm not sure of what free software is available to use in Windows to choose the burn format but there are kinds like you get from Roxio who make Toast on the Mac and Easy Media Creator on Windows which have cross-platform check-boxes and they burn hybrid formats.

An older UDF format (1.02) would probably work ok but the earlier versions at least have a 1GB file size limit so in the long run, getting software that supports burning hybrid formats is preferred.