Buying software ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This may be a really dumb question but I thought I should ask.

When I buy software I always buy it new from a store. Being that I am still in school and just having bought my first Mac, I'm a little short on cash and I thought I might be able to save some cash by buying software from ebay or craigslist. But is there anything I need to be aware of if I buy software from someone off craigslist, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gvg45gvg45 Posts: 11member
    anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

anyone?

I'll bite.

Being a student, as you state that you are, have you checked into educational versions of software at a much reduced price?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Good advice - the savings can be *substantial*. Also check with your campus (if you're in college, you didn't say), to see if they have site licenses for popular software. Frequently, you can get things like MS Office for anywhere from Free to $20 or so.

Hint: if you're over 18, and a student, you can sign up for a $99 Apple Developer Connection student membership. You get a free copy of MacOS X 10.5 when it ships... which is $129. Do the math.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe he was actually kicked out of school.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Good advice - the savings can be *substantial*. Also check with your campus (if you're in college, you didn't say), to see if they have site licenses for popular software. Frequently, you can get things like MS Office for anywhere from Free to $20 or so.

Hint: if you're over 18, and a student, you can sign up for a $99 Apple Developer Connection student membership. You get a free copy of MacOS X 10.5 when it ships... which is $129. Do the math.

Actually, being a student, it will only cost $69, which if I can correctly compare 3 numbers, is the least of all.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gvg45 View Post

When I buy software I always buy it new from a store. Being that I am still in school and just having bought my first Mac, I'm a little short on cash ...

There are several online stores which specialize in selling to the education market. If you buy from one of these stores, then you may realize substantial savings on popular titles. One such store may be found here.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    My campus sells MS Office for $42 and Windows for something like $69. Apple software sells for the EDU rate you see on line at the apple store. Adobe is still $$$ but at a cut rate.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gvg45gvg45 Posts: 11member
    Thanks for the responses.

The edu discount definitely helps but software can still be expensive sometimes. I was thinking I could possibly save a little extra cash. But I guess its the consensus that buying software other than from a reputable dealer is a bad idea.?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Actually, being a student, it will only cost $69, which if I can correctly compare 3 numbers, is the least of all.

OOoooooh, yer one o' them sneaky edumakated folk, ain't ya?