Answering machine software?

tkntkn
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there any answering machine software out there for the mac. I would love to see something integrated with mail.app. It would even be better if it would try and use voice recognition and dictation to put it into text.

OK, so that might be a little more than is out there, but it does seem that no one has made a voicemail app for the mac yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Well there is some noise on MegaPhone's website about OS X versions. However, it doesn't seem that they are updating it all that often. You could try signing up for their beta program and see what happens:

<a href="http://www.megaphoneco.com/beta.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.megaphoneco.com/beta.htm</a>;

Anyway, we still use an old 6400 as an answering machine using MegaPhone 2.0.5. I am hoping to replace the 6400 with a new PowerMac 970 this fall (my wife says I have to get rid of one of the old computers before I buy a new one). I am hoping there will be some OS X answering machine software by that time, but I don't think there is any now.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I think the modem is more abstracted in OS X or something.. ie. it's harder to access it from software.

There used to be some other, similar apps, including ones that would record phone conversations. None have been poreted to OS X, and it is apparently not possible to do this anymore (?)

-robo
  • Reply 3 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    My workplace uses an Outlook Exchange server, and I use mail.app with it. It's integrated with our voice mail, so if I get phone message, it gets sent to my email as a .wav file and I can listen to it and even reply directly with an e-mail if the person is in our address book. It also must have caller ID because even if it's someone not in our address book, it shows their phone number on the From: line of the email.

It also supposedly will read your e-mail over the phone, although I've never used that. I don't think it has voice recognition to type e-mail from the phone though, although I suppose theoretically one could write a program to do that.

• Reply 4 of 8
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    To me this seems like a great app for everyone. If you remember that movie Strange Days they had an answering machine that did this.

First of all, you wouldn't waste time listening to messages, you could just scan through them real fast. I can read an email in half the time it takes someone to say it.

Second, you could have that message SMSed to your phone at any point with the caller ID info culled with your address book.

Third, one less box on your desk.

This seems like something apple could easily put in with mail.app to make it a complete messaging center. Realtime audio compression could keep the drive space usage to a minimal.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it would be great if you could use an airport Base station as a fax machine/answering machine
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Didn't someone claim that this is what iPhone was going to be a while back (maybe before MWNY)?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    [quote]Originally posted by JBL:

<strong>Didn't someone claim that this is what iPhone was going to be a while back (maybe before MWNY)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually that was probably me and it was more of a wish than a claim...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I recall the pre MW rumors of ann app like this .... maybe that means there is still something under developement ?

I agree that this would be a fantastic app for my mac.

I'd even spring for caller ID on my phone line if I had some killer app like this .... grab the persons picture from "address book" and show it on screen as the caller ID... cool!