Extending Internet radio capability

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an iMac in my home connected to Verizon WiFi. I've become addicted to Internet radio and since I spend most of my time in a detached building( my workshop) how can I extend the Internet radio to the outbuilding. Hard wiring it somehow would take 80 ft. of cable. I have a stereo receiver in the shop so as I see it I need a way to transfer the headphone jack signal to the back of the stereo amp so I can amplify the signal and have volume control. A clerk at Circuit City suggested a 100 ft. Ethernet cable. I have phone lines running to the shop?can they be used to carry the signal to the amplifier? I also have a small Radio Shack intercom running to the shop that I can disable if those wimpy wires can carry the signal.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canoefly View Post

I have an iMac in my home connected to Verizon WiFi. I've become addicted to Internet radio and since I spend most of my time in a detached building( my workshop) how can I extend the Internet radio to the outbuilding. Hard wiring it somehow would take 80 ft. of cable. I have a stereo receiver in the shop so as I see it I need a way to transfer the headphone jack signal to the back of the stereo amp so I can amplify the signal and have volume control. A clerk at Circuit City suggested a 100 ft. Ethernet cable. I have phone lines running to the shop?can they be used to carry the signal to the amplifier? I also have a small Radio Shack intercom running to the shop that I can disable if those wimpy wires can carry the signal.

Anybody have any suggestions?

If i'm understanding you correctly.. i believe an airport base station can do what you want it to. Using airport admin utility, you can tell it to connect to your wireless signal provided by your verizon modem, and it will extend the range of it to your shanty.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manyourisms View Post

If i'm understanding you correctly.. i believe an airport base station can do what you want it to. Using airport admin utility, you can tell it to connect to your wireless signal provided by your verizon modem, and it will extend the range of it to your shanty.

So you are saying that it will enhance the weak signal that's barely making it out to the workshop (please don't call her a shanty)? If that works then I'll need another computer in the shop. I was hoping to be able to avoid that expense.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

So you are saying that it will enhance the weak signal that's barely making it out to the workshop (please don't call her a shanty)? If that works then I'll need another computer in the shop. I was hoping to be able to avoid that expense.

manyourisms?Excuse me but I just found out that AirPort Express has an audio port that will connect to the stereo. Does this still involve the wireless router because that's where I lose signal strength? The exterior wall of my home is stone?18 inches of solid masonry which really inhibits the wireless signal.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I just talked to one of the guys at the local Apple Store's Genius Desk and he said that the Airport Express device will only work with the Airport Extreme wireless router.

To use the old joke about the Thermos bottle which can keep things either hot or cold?How do it know?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

I just talked to one of the guys at the local Apple Store's Genius Desk and he said that the Airport Express device will only work with the Airport Extreme wireless router.

To use the old joke about the Thermos bottle which can keep things either hot or cold?How do it know?

Been a while since i've looked into that, sorry. But I do know for a fact the express can connect to routers other than airport extreme, its under the first tab in the admin utility, but what i'm not sure on is if airtunes will work with it.. Hmm.. I'll check into a bit and see what I can find.