Will Leopard thrill or disappoint?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
FWIW:

Adrian Kingsley-Hughes

hardware image

Gear for Geeks

"Today I came across two pieces about Leopard which I found really interesting; one by John Gruber of Macworld and the other by Hadley Stern of Apple Matters. I came away with the feeling that both were saying the same thing, but coming at it from different directions."

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=729&tag=nl.e589

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I can't say as I've not seen or worked with the Leopard builds.

I am concerned that rumored features are being cut in order to get it out the door. These would be ZFS and resolution independence.

I think I mostly side with Gruber as I like Tiger and fell any refinements here are all that I want. New featurs like ZFS and resolution independence would be nice though.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think we've already seen the 'innovations' on offer from Steve's last several presentations. "Nothing to see here... Move along".
  • Reply 3 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Depends on what type of computer user you are.

If you like efficiency and polish then you'll be thrilled. If you computer for entertainment and need constant "OMFG!!!11" stimulation then you won't be thrilled.

Leopard is a dish that will taste better because each invidividual ingredient has been improved.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    There are also a number of developer-oriented goodies that should make the next wave of Mac apps really quite tasty.

Users won't see the direct benefits for a few months, is my bet, but the next generation of apps will rely on features in Leopard. Expect to see a surprisingly large number of 10.5-only apps.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    You guys keep going back to the food metaphors... hmm, gettin' hungry.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Says the man with the name made from two foods...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Mmm... spam.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I will be thrilled with Leopard because:
    1. I need an operating system to help me get my work done as efficiently and pleasantly as possible. The new finder, quicklook, stacks, spaces and improved gui consistency and responsiveness will all improve that.

2. I need my OS help me safeguard my precious files and data. Time machine will completely automate that for me.

3. It's new. I'm a geek. I like new toys to explore and play with.

• Reply 9 of 17
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    I have not been given a good enough reason to upgrade for another 2-3 years.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

What would be a good enough reason for you?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

What would be a good enough reason for you?

Well, since I'm still a student, it's more a money issue than anything else. But really, I've got a powerbook, so I'm a bit behind in the hardware sector, and the new features in Leopard are pretty nice and everything, but nothing I can't wait for... I'll get a new computer in a couple of years, and then I'll have the new operating system.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

The good enough reason will be when most apps have gone 10.5-only...I'd give it...hmm...one year.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I am concerned that rumored features are being cut in order to get it out the door. These would be ZFS and resolution independence.

Resolution independence was never promised on release.

The time frame given was "some time in 2008".
  • Reply 14 of 17
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Leopard's release by itself will not be particularly thrilling, but I expect the new Mac Pro will be revved alongside its introduction. That will spur sales.

Also, the developer community has been abuzz about Leopard, with RapidWeaver and Delicious Library going on public record to say that their next releases will be Leopard-only and spectacular.

I don't know if it's that Core Data has matured or Core Animation is just too pretty to be left alone. But when you have developers hitching their star so tightly to an OS that has not been publicly released yet, something big is afoot.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    The bloggers mentioned the leap from OS9 to OSX, and seemed to benchmark all future MacOS releases against that level of change. I for one think that it would be a horrible commentary on the MacOS if users had to endure a major leap like that every few years.

Look folks, I work on these things all day, every day. I want continuity; I want evolution. The MacOS is great and getting better. When I read comments that critique the delta between 10.4 and 10.5, I'm left wondering what these people are looking for? A 3D desktop? A completely new UI?

I will be very happy if Apple continues to evolve and refine OSX over the next series of releases. It is bad for the user to be forced to adapt to jarring changes and abrupt shifts. These things introduce a learning curve. I'm a long time Mac user, but when OSX came out I had to relearn many things. Also, at 10.2 I installed OSX on my Mom's iBook. It was the first OS (Classic or Windows) that she 'just got.' If Apple were to drastically change the OS for change's sake, many people like my Mom would be dismayed.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Resolution independence was never promised on release.

The time frame given was "some time in 2008".

Hence the term rumored features. Many thought RI would make it in Leopard. Many threads here were devoted to that topic.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Look folks, I work on these things all day, every day. I want continuity; I want evolution. The MacOS is great and getting better. When I read comments that critique the delta between 10.4 and 10.5, I'm left wondering what these people are looking for? A 3D desktop? A completely new UI?

Yeah, I have to get work done on my computers, and though I "live" in my apps (Word, Final Draft for scripts, whatever editing program my editor is using -- Final Cut, Avid, Premiere -- for editing), even little changes when I go from OSX to Windows XP and back again (right side of the window versus left side of the window to close an app), can slow me down a tick until I get back up to speed. What I like best about the Apple OS's is/are the consistency and ease going from one app to another (and it doesn't crash) -- too major a change, although cool, would most definitely force me to work slower for awhile, and that translates to dollars and cents. (And don't tell me I should wait; it's hard to see something shiny and new from Apple and NOT want to get it and try it.)