Microsoft, oh how I hate thee...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know this is probably old news, but it is a new experience for my family. Thanks to a small home network and the brilliant interconnectivity of computers running OS X.2 on those networks, we can no longer run Microsoft Office 10 at the same time on those computers (including Entourage). Yes, I know about end user licenses -- but it is incredibly bloodthirsty of Microsoft to charge per computer when no profit is allocated by the software's use at home -- it's HOME for God's sake. I just want to scream! The fact that MS software runs this little network scan to see if you're using the same copy on multiple comps.---argh!

<steps off soapbox and goes to check to see how much an additional user license is...>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You can trick Office by blocking certain ports on your firewall that it uses to try finding other copies on the network, btw.

• Reply 2 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I remember Photoshop doing this 5 years ago. It would check the Appletalk network and we would have to shut off Appletalk to launch the program. But I hear your complaint! I will not buy 3 copies of the same program to use on MY machines. All software I buy will be installed on all the computers I own. I don't have a intent to break the law, a grudge against the world (despite popular belief ), or want to stir up trouble, but rather I see it as a fundamental part of the consumer's rights to use the software in any way for their own use.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, the ms deal is annoying, but per Brad's suggestion, there are easy ways to get around that. just look online, there should be plenty of folks who've written how to do it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This sort of multiple Home Licensing issue is what's severely affecting 3rd party Software Developers. For instance

Do I shell out for iMedia Pro multiple times for my muliple Macs or just use iPhoto on each machine.

Do I buy Watson for every Computer or just use Sherlock?

Perhaps DRM may play a part in the future of controlling his better. Similar to Apples 5 License OSX for $199 we may see licenses that cover up to a handful of Home Networked Computers for a nominal increase in $$$$.

Office is way too expensive to put on more than one Computer in the Home.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    email me, we'll see if we can't fix that