why apple will/will not relase touch pod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
lately, theres been alot of rumors concerning a touch screen ipod a la the iphone. I've been reading around, and it seems that the ipod "phatty" we've seen might just be the new 6g ipod. I'm hoping against it, but i don't think we'll know certainly until wednesday. Here are a few reasons for and against a new touchscreen ipod and wifi as well, add in what you think as well, these are ones i've seen around the net.

For touchscreen:

1. it's been proven on the iphone

2. putting it on the next gen ipod would be a rather big blow to other DAP companies, depending on the price point.

3. Would be a logical evolutionary step for the ipod

against touchscreen:

1. Cost: it may increase production costs, thus alienating some of the customer base

2. Cannabalization of Iphone: there's alot of talk about this, but it really wouldn't hurt apple; the only loser would be at&t, which is also suffering alot because of these recent iphone unlockings. IIRC, apple said it would only want to be cannabalized by its own products, so if its the ipod competing with the iphone. a really win/win situation for apple, because if they sell ipods and iphones, which i'm sure they will. they gain in the end; at&t, not so much

3. they don't need to: the competition, in most respects, is way behind the ipod as it is. for this ipod cycle, there may not be an urgent need for touchscreen in apple's eyes, but i'm not so sure stockholders will be happy come Wednesday if all we get are the phatpods, considering all the hype for this event.

for wifi (and bluetooth i suppose):

1. Would be damn cool if you could buy songs wirelessly without need for a computer, although i hope you could sync those songs back onto your computer when docked or w/e

2. safari, youtube, google maps =D

against wifi:

1. once again, it would be unneccessary as most of the competition has yet to come close to having browsers and music stores accessible from the DAP itself

against having both touchscreen and wifi on 6g ipod:

1. If apple puts both of these eggs in one basket, the 6g ipod, there isn't much to improve on models hereafter, if apple gets a bit of market saturation with this ipod, there would not be much of an incentive to upgrade, unless there are people who want a larger storage capacity. Other than the inclusion of camera, or things i can't currently think of, this may be the last huge step in evolution for the ipod, which would stagnate apple's sales down the road.

feel free to criticize, add stuff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Whatever. We'll see on Wednesday.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Many of us have been waiting for a widescreen touch iPod for over a year now. I've been holding off on upgrading my iPod in anticipation of just that. I don't think it will harm iPhone sales nearly as much as some people speculate. If people want a phone, then they will buy the iPhone anyway. If they don't they're not likely to buy and iPhone purely for the iPod features.

As for WiFi. I'm not that bothered about having YouTube or the iTunes store on my iPod, however I would like to be able to access my Mac and stream content to my iPod in the same way AppleTV can. This would be especially convenient if the new iPods are lower capacity flash based offerings.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I am doubting any internet connectivity in the new iPods.

Because that will affect iPhone sales.

Posting from my iphone.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I'm not saying this, it came from one of our sources deep inside the Apple Candy Machine!

The only reason I give it any credibility is because I personally know Mr. Jobs' envy of the Zune. You see two years ago I personally took a picture of the first Zune over to his office just to see his reatction, he had a fit, jumping up and down on the office beanbags, throwing water bottles, he ripped off his turtle-neck while cursing and rolling on the floor! (I know it's hard to believe, but if it isn't true then I am not Steve Ballmer pretending to not be me)

He had their designer (Ivy) hauled into his office by two igoons and pointing at the Zune photo screamed, "That! is what I wanted! You limey fool! %&**$% you! ...." The verbal and physical abuse went on for a good 15 minutes, Ivy smiled the whole time as iTards tend to do.

I laughed all the way back to Redmond!

I don't think we will even sue over this one even if it is true, why would anyone buy a zuPod?

http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    I see cost as being the biggest detriment to a touch iPod. I doubt that at touch iPod hurts iPhone sales anything significant. In fact the biggest advantage would be economies of scale as a touch iPod would lower production costs of the iPhone provided they utilize the same screen and technology.