Looking for a speaker 2.1 set that fits well with the new iMac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From a design point of view I mean.

I've checked with Creative, Logitech, Sony and Harman/Kardon, and so far I only like these 2:

Which would fit better?

I'm also open for other options.

It'd be mainly for music purposes, the iMac is in the living room and I want to be able to fill the entire room (it's not that big) The old H/K's I had with my Dell almost did it. The first set is 200 watt THX certified so may be a bit overkill, second one is 40 watts and I hope decent 'cause it's not their cheapest set by any means.

Any advice would be nice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Logitechs are nice but the bass tends to be too strong sometimes. Harmon Kardon soundsticks2 are still very nice. it will go nice with the new iMac. The "jellyfish" part (the subwoofer) you can hide away.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Acoustic Energy Aego M in black.

http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Pro...ies/Aego_M.asp

At least that's what I'd shoot for in that rough price range and for a decent fit to the iMac looks.

Find some hifi magazines' reviews on the Aego M, and you'll see them comparing it to systems many times the price, and coming up with very short complaint lists.

The Aego M is Acoustic Energy's "low end" or "value" product btw, while the Logitech Z2300's (that's what those are, right?) are the same price range but Logitech's high end 2.1.

Not sure how good the availability is on the continent but as AE is a British company, they aren't inconveniently far away to order.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Take a look at the Bose Companion III and Companion V speakers. They only cost a little more but should be worth it IMO. I replaced my Creative 5.1 speakers (don't remember the exact name) with the Companion III set earlier this year and couldn't be happier.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I was thinking about Bose 3 and 5 too... H/K SoundSticks II I think have a more balanced sound overall than the Bose 3 but in terms of looks+sound Bose 5 is hard to pass by, if you can afford it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into the AE's. The Bose companion 3's cost 300 Euros, the Logitech Z2300's are 170 max, and I've seen them for 130-ish. Funny thing is I can't find any watt ratings on the Boses...

I've seen the H/K soundsticks and the JBL's but both are way too ugly imo.