in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just wondering... what would make you buy an AppleTV

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Your credit card number.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *zing*

Actually, if I had an HDTV, I might already have one. But I don't. So, like, barrier.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

*zing*

Actually, if I had an HDTV, I might already have one. But I don't. So, like, barrier.

Same here. I have no plans to invest in an HDTV either, the costs are not on par with traditional TVs and the content certainly isn't getting more compelling. Why do I need to see the same old crap, but sharper?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Eh, I figure costs will continue to come down to the range that I'm willing to pay for. LCD prices are dropping, and their sizes are pushing plasmas nicely. It's getting to the point that I may just replace my 1992 Sony 20" without a remote, y'know? I haven't purchased a TV, like... ever. They've always been hand me downs. (The one prior to this was a 1981 Sanyo 19" that had live screws on the back - *those* were fun for the cat...) Maybe it's time, now that I have a real job and stuff.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Since they are going to get rid of the Mini soon... the AppleTV should fill its place as a Media Center computer. It has always bothered me that they are so similar.... IMO they should fuse the two into one... the new AppleTV.

Hardware should be improved a bit to gain basic computing abilities. Add a combo drive to load software, rip/play CDs to iTunes and watch DVDs.

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 or 1.83 Ghz

1GB RAM / 80GB HD

Intel X3100 Display Adapter

Slot load Combo Drive

Audio I/O (Analog + Digital)

DVI Output + HDMI Out

2-4 USB, FireWire??, LAN, Airport, BT

Included Apple Remote but BYODKM

Mac OS X 10.5

1 Model - $499
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

Since they are going to get rid of the Mini soon...

Really? Where did you hear/read that? When is this supposed to happen?

So... Jobs will dump the Mini, and they should replace the Apple TV with... a Mini?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It's been a rumor bouncing around for a while now, but no one knows for sure.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Why no option for "Already bought one"

Might buy a second one for the bedroom/kitchen if the price was a bit lower though.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Why no option for "Already bought one"

Figured this was for those who haven't... but appreciate your post anyway!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    DVR capabilities--than it would rule, and the only thing that would get me to get it--plus DVD playback, either streaming from the computer, or built in. (I know, not in line with Apple's vision, not gonna happen)
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Bought one already!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Standard DVD slot load drive, bigger hard drive, direct internet connectivity for iTS, and some video (other than video podcasts) I don't live over there you know.