I need Insight on IDE to SATA adapter. HELP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My g4 just died and like an idiot I had not backed up in a while. I just bought a g5 1.8 single core (900 mhz pci-x verion) I want to be able to hook up my IDE ATA drives to it but it only accepts SATA interface I am led to believe. I've seen IDE to usb adapters out there but would just rather leave the drives inside the case and connected. I've seen some IDE/SATA adapters out there relatively inexpensive ones too, such as this: http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAtoIDEConverter.asp

Anyone ever use something like this? Good or bad? What about a PCI-x controller card

that my Ultra Ata IDE could connect to, any recomendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyaudioguy View Post

My g4 just died and like an idiot I had not backed up in a while. I just bought a g5 1.8 single core (900 mhz pci-x verion) I want to be able to hook up my IDE ATA drives to it but it only accepts SATA interface I am led to believe. I've seen IDE to usb adapters out there but would just rather leave the drives inside the case and connected. I've seen some IDE/SATA adapters out there relatively inexpensive ones too, such as this: http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAtoIDEConverter.asp

Anyone ever use something like this? Good or bad? What about a PCI-x controller card

that my Ultra Ata IDE could connect to, any recomendations?

Thanks

A external firewire case will work
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I figured there had to be a cheaper way to do it, also leaving it hooked up inside the case would be nice to. I have two of these drives, 28g each, really not interested in buynig two cases for these little guys. There's also a Newertech universal IDE/ATA/SATA bridge for 30.00. again it's ok to hook up and transfer, but don't really want to leave it connected. I am really curious on the pci-x controller card (for IDE/ata), if anyone knows one that works well with the g5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

A external firewire case will work