Palm dumps Foleo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So they pulled the plug on one of the least anticipated devices ever. That is to say:

Quote:

"Our own evaluation and early market feedback were telling us that we still have a number of improvements to make Foleo a world-class product, and we cannot afford to make those improvements on a platform that is not central to our core focus," Colligan said.

Yes, it appeared to be coming up somewhat shy of a world class product.

The point seems to be that they want all the eggs in the upcoming Linux based OS basket, and are holding out the promise of a "Foleo 2" (does that work if you never shipped the first one?) that would run on that.

I can't decide if this is a good sign that Palm is getting it together (by making the tough decision to kill an almost to market product) or some kind of death rattle (having gone through the entire, expensive exercise of developing this thing, and then killing it).

Couldn't they have figured out the shortcomings of the design and how it worked with Palm's portfolio before they spent all the money? Who is making the decisions at Palm, and how?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Obviously the Foleo was a turkey...so I won't be praising them for doing what any layman would have done.

I wonder if Palm has given any thought to going the other direction. They seem too focused on bringing the desktop computing experience to the smartphone when they could instead be slimming down the Treo and making lifestyle-esque smartphones for the masses.