iTunes WI-FI music store to work over EDGE on iPhone or not?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm not expecting it to work over EDGE specifically because it's called the iTunes WI-FI music store, but it sure would be nice. Does anyone have any information either way on this? Obviously, it does not apply to the iPod Touch, because it has no radio in it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Bump.

OK, I got no response to this, but I'm not sure what that means. I'm happy the iTunes WIFI Music Store is coming to be, but because I'm a music teacher, I often would have need to download a song somewhere that I do not have a WIFI connection, and I would love it if I could download a song using EDGE (or some day a 3G connection). Is there anyone else that would be interested in being able to do the same thing? Is it in the future for the iPhone, or is that never really going to happen?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If you were to download over EDGE, it might take all day long (literally).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

If you were to download over EDGE, it might take all day long (literally).

Well, it depends what "it" is that you're downloading. A movie off of the iTunes store would be totally unreasonable. But a song could take five minutes or so. I used to have a 2G Treo that I would tether to my Mac via bluetooth, and on a few occasions I downloaded a song in this way, and I remember it taking 5-10 minutes only to download. EDGE should be faster, although obviously there are many factors.

I'm a music teacher, and I teach at several different schools, some of which have WIFI and some of which do not. It would be incredibly useful for me to be able to instantly (or, at least within a few minutes) download any song off of the iTunes store. Obviously not everybody has the same needs as me, but I was looking to gauge interest.

Also, we know a 3G iPhone is coming. That would be an even more useful device to be able to download music anywhere. But will we be able to?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Another thing to keep in mind is network traffic, because Apple is pushing for flat rate data plans if you wanted to download over EDGE (ugh) or UMTS (aka 3G) the operator may want either a cut or a surcharge. As Apple doesn't make much off a song now they have to add, say, 25 cents for AT&T if you were to buy over EDGE/UMTS or forsake whatever their cut is and give it to AT&T.

Note too that Apple named it the WiFi Music Store (excluding video & podcasts, including the word WiFi) instead of, say, Wireless iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libmanj View Post

I'm a music teacher, and I teach at several different schools, some of which have WIFI and some of which do not. It would be incredibly useful for me to be able to instantly (or, at least within a few minutes) download any song off of the iTunes store. Obviously not everybody has the same needs as me, but I was looking to gauge interest.

It would be easier for you to get WiFi installed at all the schools you teach at then hoping Apple supports downloads over EDGE. Personally, I hope they don't, as WiFi will, for the foreseeable future, be a substantially better user experience.